Australian Hurdler, Jana Rawlinson, removes breast implants to go for gold in 2012

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by killerrobot, Jan 30, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Not sure how I missed this story but it's a rather interesting one. She got implants to feel better about her body, but now has removed them to make sure she gives it all she can in the olympics.
    I think she could be a great role model for a lot of girls/women because she got over body issue images to focus more on herself/others and goals rather than merely focusing on her outer beauty.
    And now for my shallow thoughts- breast implants or not, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers as the saying goes.

http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/cel...-rawlinson-i-still-feel-sexy-without-my-boobs

2. macrumors G3

dmr727

She should put them on e-bay.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

killerrobot

With all proceeds going to Haiti.

4. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You say she's a good role-model for concentrating on a personal goal rather than her exterior, but if you read the article, she mentions possibly getting implants again after her athletics career is over. It's not like she got ofer her body issues and feels better about herself.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, but we'll have to wait and see what actually happens in the future. If she wins gold, maybe she'll have enough confidence/be over her body issues not to get them again.
    If she does and doesn't turn out to be the perfect role model, I think her story still stresses how much ads/tv/movies/magazines have really messed in the head with girls/women and what it means to be beautiful and how they have defined that thin and curvy is the only feminine characteristic that is desired in women.
    There's a lot of body and image issues that she seems to be struggling with, and at the moment I think she's taking a stand in the right direction that could inspire a lot of other girls/women when she says "I know there are no medals for being beautiful". That's a message that should ring true - beauty is fleeting but life-long accomplishments aren't.

6. macrumors 6502a

748s

She's was a nut case before the implant stuff.

I'm betting she will have an "injury" weeks before the games and withdraw.

7. macrumors 65816

FX120

So bigger boobs = increased drag?

8. macrumors 68000

dXTC

Aerodynamics aside, getting rid of them gets rid of quite a few ounces of "dead" weight, and can perhaps shave off a few hundredths of a second.

(So sayeth Captain Obvious.)

9. macrumors member

12b?

I know runners are thin, but a 12? Must be the metric system or something :D