Australian Vodafone Store Evacuated After Demo iPad 'Explosion'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2013.

  1. macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001

    A Vodafone retail store in Canberra, Australia was reportedly evacuated earlier this week after an in-store demo iPad "exploded", filling the location with smoke and sparks, reports While no one was harmed during the incident, the iPad reportedly emitted the sparks from its charging port as firefighters were called to the scene to handle the situation. An Apple representative reportedly visited the scene afterwards to investigate the explosion, but Apple has not commented on the incident.

    Interestingly, the report originally stated that the device was an iPad Air, but the article has since been revised to simply refer to it as an "iPad" and the device shown in the photo accompanying the article does not appear to have the narrower side bezels seen on the new iPad Air.

    This is not the first time this year that an Apple product was accused of being a safety hazard, as a woman in China suffered eye injuries from her iPhone 5 after it exploded while she was on the phone this past August. Additionally, a Chinese man was left in a coma after receiving an electric shock while charging his iPhone 4 in July, which followed the death of a Chinese woman under similar circumstances.

    Both latter incidents apparently involved the use of unauthorized third-party adapters, with Apple responding to the events by establishing an international third-party USB charger "Takeback Program" offering official replacement chargers for $10 to anyone who turns in a suspect adapter.

    Apple began selling the iPad Air last Friday in over thirty countries through its official online store and at various other outlets.

    Article Link: Australian Vodafone Store Evacuated After Demo iPad 'Explosion'
  2. macrumors 603


    Jan 20, 2010
  3. macrumors 68040


    Thanks to the help of eyewitnesses who were shopping at the Vodafone Store when the iPad shot sparks out of the Lightning port, it was possible to accurately recreate the occurred events:
  4. macrumors 6502a

    Nov 28, 2009
    United kingdom
    Could the store have perhaps been using fake chargers on the demo stand? On the BBC program fake Britain i've seen it loads of times of fake power adaptors and batteries being responsible for house fires etc.
  5. macrumors 6502

    Apr 21, 2010
    Holly Michigan
    That's scary! I usually charge my ipad overnight.:eek:
  6. macrumors 601


    Mar 2, 2012
    You only hear about an Apple product exploding like twice every year. They sold about 50 million iPads in 2013. So you have a better chance of being struck by lightning twice.
  7. macrumors G5


    Nov 25, 2005
    What's strange is that this happened in a store, so quite possible that someone intentionally damaged the device. For example, putting screws through the battery is known to be a bad idea.
  8. macrumors 68040


    Apr 18, 2011
    I agree 100%.

    Nice to see the usual product advertising in news stories. [/sarcasm]
  9. macrumors regular

    Dec 31, 2012
  10. macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2013

    People are generally stupid.

    There is more to this story. People use the wrong chargers, get their devices wet, drop them, light them on fire, and so on and blame companies for them not working or exploding.

    I work for Samsung and people complain about their phones not working. 99 percent of the time they dont work cause someone did something stupid. I miss the days when common sense was common.

    People read things on the net and freak out. Dont believe everything you read on the net.
  11. macrumors newbie

    Nov 8, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn of it being a case of sabotage sponsored by Samsung.
  12. macrumors 601


    Mar 2, 2012
    Right, these devices don't just explode on their own. I'm guessing the store used 3rd party chargers.
  13. macrumors demi-goddess


    May 15, 2008
    +1 totally with you on that one honey
  14. macrumors 6502

    Jul 29, 2010
    More free publicity for the NEW iPad Air, This Apple won't crumble because of this story.
  15. macrumors newbie

    Oct 2, 2013
    "Security camera footage shows the last customer who used the iPad setting it down and walking away just moments before the explosion. That man was later identified as U.S. citizen Ethan Hunt."
  16. macrumors regular


    Mar 21, 2012
    Florida, USA
    Struck twice like this guy....

  17. macrumors regular


    Oct 14, 2010
  18. macrumors member


    May 13, 2009
    I thought the iPad Air was hot but this is ridiculous!
  19. macrumors member


    Oct 22, 2013
    Keep in mind all of these explosions happen in Asia where people decide it's better to buy a cheap knock off non-regulated charger...
  20. macrumors 6502

    Jan 8, 2011
    Well, looks like the iPad Fire is not yet ready for the Mass market.
  21. macrumors 68000


    Mar 13, 2007
    I came here for an IMF reference and I was not disappointed. :D
  22. macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2010
    Anderson, SC
    Will this qualify for the $200 Target Buy Back program?
  23. BornAgainApple, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

    macrumors 6502a


    Jun 9, 2009
  24. macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2010
    Yeah, but everybody knows lightening is dangerous and to stay away. I'm pretty sure iPads are made to be used, not to stay away from.
  25. macrumors 68000

    Oct 23, 2003
    Brunswick, MD
    VERY true ....

    But it's ALSO true that these high energy storage battery packs do hold enough of a charge so they can explode and/or catch fire if they suffer from some massive internal failure.

    Knock-off chargers pose a risk because they may send too much voltage or current through the batteries, causing them to overheat or break down inside. But with millions and millions of the batteries sold, it's pretty much to be expected that somewhere out there, at least 1 or 2 will explode on their own eventually.

    It's happened for decades now with laptop computers and other devices. Only reason you didn't see this with traditional batteries is that they couldn't store enough energy to fail so explosively. (Anyone remember taking old batteries out of flashlights or toys and finding them corroded and leaking battery acid though? Same kind of thing.... They failed internally too.)


Share This Page