Australians: Anyone upgraded their iBook or Powerbook harddrive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cooknwitha, Jun 17, 2005.

1. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I was just wondering if any Australians here had upgraded the harddrive on their laptop to a higher rpm. Like changing the iBook HD from 4200rpm to 5400rpm.

If so, how much did it cost? Roughly.

2. cooknwitha thread starter macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Well, for those curious I just found out.

I was quoted AU$89 to get a hard drive installed in an iBook. That does not include the price of the drive.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I got it for roughly $50 labour from NextByte about a year ago. Where'd you get your quote from?

4. cooknwitha thread starter macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

WiseIT (aka AppleCentre Hobart) which is here in Hobart. They are pretty much the only Apple Service people I know of. But maybe I should investigate a little more!!

How long did it take for NextByte to do?

On further investigation there is another authorised provider in Hobart. I'll give them a call in the morning.

All I'm wanting is when the new iBooks arrive, I'll buy the simple model and update the RAM myself and get another Hard drive installed. Am I right in saying from there I just re-install everything from scratch? As if I had zeroed the hard-drive. Cause I've done that once before. :)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was off galavanting around the countryside when they did mine so I said there was no hurry. The process probably took them about a maximum of an hour but the iBook was in the shop for about a week.

Yep, it's easy-as. I remember having a little bit of trouble because they hadn't "recognised" the drive, whatever that means. I rang them up (iBook was not installing OSX) and they talked me through the very simple process of "recognising" the drive in Disk Utility from the CD's menu. It was very straight forward from memory, just a case of selecting Mac OS Extended journalling or whatever (it was a year ago, a little hazy on the details). However, this was just because they'd forgotten to do it in the workshop, normally it's a case of putting the OS CDs in and running from there.

6. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

You think there is an easy way to do it yourself? My powerbook looks pretty sealed up, but sometime down the road I wouldn't mind putting in that 7200 rpm seagate or whatever is better at the time...

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Changing 12 inch notebook hard drives is out of my league. There are a few threads with good guides on these boards though. :)

8. cooknwitha thread starter macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I naively thought I would do it myself when I get an iBook but after finding a picture by picture discription on how to do it, I realised it was way out of my league. Pictures 1 - 5 were easy but by Picture 10 it was no longer an iBook. It looked more like materials that could maybe one day become an iBook. So, when it's time.... I'll leave it to the professionals. :)

9. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Re: a powerbook

Doing it yourself is really not a huge deal (assuming you're not completely incompetent). The biggest thing is having the tools. You need the hex or torx bit that is on the case and a small phillips. There's some good instructions online at a repair shop.

I think the iBook may be a bigger ordeal.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I would have thought the 12 inch PowerBook and iBook would be the same, but I could well be wrong. I'm only guessing.