Australians Look (Where to get good Mac Stuff)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by locopano, May 5, 2004.

1. locopano macrumors member

locopano

Just want to know of any good shops either in Melbourne or on the WEB that you find are either cheap or reliable.

I'll be after RAM, iCurves, Keyboards, Mice etc etc.. just Apple or Stuff dor Macs.

I have most of these items but iwant to know where i can look for stuff in the future.. or where to direct friends to go etc..

Thanks, just let me know. I dont care if its for Bags, ipod accessories WHATEVER.

Thanks! (In Advance)

2. jKmxxx macrumors member

3. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Howdy.

I usually go through streetwise.

They are very good price and service wise, and ive never had any problems.

They have a site @ http://www.streetwise.com.au , and also a retail location in Camberwell.

- J

4. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am getting my PB through Macmall, their on par with other dealers but their close and friendly. www.macmall.com.au

I also bought some stuff at good prices through www.eyo.com.au

Jason

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Checked out their website. Their prices seem the same as Apple's...no different to going to nextbyte... Do they do deals?

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Hey these guys have pretty good prices on some stuff...oh and they are in my town as well :) I should get in there soon. $129 for a Logitech MX-900 Bluetooth Optical Mouse is pretty good...maybe I should bite the bullet rather than waiting on the new models in June/July...

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I only discovered Macmall a few weeks ago, but I wish I did sooner. They seem to have some real discounts on standard Apple pricing. When I bough t my PowerBook from AppleCentre Taylor Square I was able to bargain them down slightly, but in retrospect it was only about the same as the discount I would have got straight off the web from Macmall (although to be fair, Taylor Square did throw in a nice STM neoprene zippered travelling sleeve for the 12" PowerBook which is still the envy of all the other PC notebook users in my office). AppleCentre Broadway and Next Byte don't seem to discount Apple's standard prices at all. Neither does Paleographics from what I can tell.

I must have spent about $15,000 or $20,000 at EYO over the past 5 or 6 years. I bought all my PC components from there when I was into building my own stuff, and picked up a lot of spare parts from there for work when I had to fill in as the sysadmin at work for a few months back in 2001. Usually very reliable and decent pricing, although they seem to get beat on price now by a lot of other smaller online PC suppliers, and are even beaten on price a lot of the time by the local PC screwdriver shop. Maybe they've gotten a little bit too big and successful.

The one thing that remains constant in Sydney computing purchases IMHO though, is that if you buy from Harris Technology, you've been ripped off :). Count on it.

9. jKmxxx macrumors member

ya they do, just need to talk to them.

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, some of their pricing is a little off. Not too bad though.

What other online stores do you think are competative?

:) Its not a bad place to find out whats available.

11. locopano thread starter macrumors member

locopano

YOu can also get the LOGITECH MX DUO (MX700 Mouse with cradle that looks exactly like MX900) and the Keyboard for $135 from

www.citysoftware.com.au

The mouse also looks the same as the MX900. It uses infra red tho instead of bluetooth. Thats what im going to get for my powerbook. I've considered all the options like you have been in ways of bluetooth etc. Its just a waste of money going to bluetooth at the moment. Also the logitech keyboard has Apple buttons on it too!

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

MX700 uses a different less capable form of wireless - less range and more inteference issues.

Plus you need a dongle for the wireless always attached to your laptop...not what I want. I want to use my inbuilt BT.

So now to find the cheapest and easiest way to get a MX900 in Sydney