Austrian Steyr-Mannlicher to export SniperRifles to Iran..US/opposition protests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, Feb 9, 2005.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

link in german:
    http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1945659

as just get known to the press the austrian based arms company Steyr-Mannlicher is about to export 800 .50 BMG single shot sniper rifles to iran next week,with approval of the current government,despite the classification of .50 bmg arms as 'military equipment' which would mean that exporting is forbidden (side note: it's classified as "Panzerbüchse" which means "anti tank rifle" ..a pre ww2 classification)
    now it comes to the light that Iran had to sign a document where they declared that they will use it in the fight against drug traders and for securing their borders

now protest are coming up even outside of austria: the US already "put the company under pressure not finishing the deal" and claimed that the rifles might fall into the hands of terrorists in iraq without bringing any evidence

according to the article this might be only the first arms deal with Iran... a Mannlicher employee is quoted "There's more to come. Iran is a market of the future for us. It's a good deal"

the opposition of SPÖ and the Greens have already called for an official declaration from the conservative government and are concered about the foreign policy which should be neutral .....

picture and information of the rifle (it isn't listed on the Mannlicher homepage)
    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn64-e.htm

i already see ministers stepping back ...
    those christian-conservatives ... sending arms into iran ... must resist to grin...

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My God, do Iranian dope dealers have tanks? :eek:

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sure it wouldn't suprise you to know that US firms sold plenty of weapons to Saddam prior to 1991.

4. diamond geezer macrumors regular

If the firearms were being sold via Halliburton (obviously not the US Halliburton, but the offshore company), it wouldn't be a problem.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The United States doesn't have the clout to claim the high road and object to these sort of deals anymore.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is why we have countries getting this kind of stuff. Greed.....Money is the root of all evil isnt it. Every country in the world is guilty of it. This is why Iran is getting nukes etc.... Europe doesnt care that they maybe fighting these same folks one day. They learned nothing from WW1,WW2 nor will they from WW3. Excluding a few countries such as England. :) Everyone else seems just happy with Iran acquiring Nukes. These countries must be blind,dumb or stupid but im not sure which.

7. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

i fail to see why they shouldn't be allowed to have nukes ? they are surrounded by countries who call you evil while having nukes themselves(US/pakistan/israel)
    if it's ok for israel to have nukes because they are surrounded by enemies then it's no different for iran ... or shouldn't the same rules apply to everyone ?
    why should i fear iran more than the US which have their troops and nuclear weapons much closer to austria ? (and are starting more wars recently)

and i think i missed WW3 ... ;)

personally i think the arms deal is a bad idea because austria should stay neutral in the case ... if the US is trading arms across the world it's called "business"

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you're going to quote the Bible then at least get it right...

"For the love of money is the root of all evil...
    – 1 Timothy 6:10

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Thanks 'Rat! I love it when High Roaders complain about other people having access to such weapons. :D

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ahhh... God, America and the Right to Bear Arms...

And the lord sayeth: Keep thou Hugely monsterous weapons and full larders that thou may hunker in deep holes and shoddy mountain shacks. Even unto the last shall the paranoid and fearful live thus. ;) :eek:

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, mac. There's a bunch to laugh at about those things. What most folks can't figure out is the complexity of shooting at anything beyond 500 yards or so. Ah, well. Just like with cars: Ownership conveys expertise.

A buddy of mine has a Barrett. The "lightweight" version, 28 pounds. The muzzle-brake renders the recoil "merely mildly painful". I don't even want the 35-pound version. Nor would I blow $7,500 on one of the things. And i"m too cheapskate to want to spend $3/shot. "How to turn money into noise."

I gotta admit I enjoyed the old WW II halftrack with a Quad-50 mount in back that I was on in Korea. 2,000 rounds a minute, with somebody else buying the ammo. :)

On a serious note, based on the comment in the THR thread about men and weapons going into Iraq from Iran, those are our guys there in Iraq, whether or not anyone wants them to be there...

'Rat

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I wouldn't mind playing with one of those, do some steel-plate shooting and stuff, but I can't see owning one for any practical reason myself. A Sendero would be much more enjoyable.

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Ooh! That's cool, I never knew the correct version. That makes a lot more sense, now. Thanks!

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It looks like the sniper rifle from Halo. It doesn't look as though Iran is just going to roll over for this administration.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sweet, dear little ol' Iran: I see by the morning news that the fatwa against Salmon Rushdie is still in effect. The Iranian PTB still want dead for blasphemy.

'Rat

Y'all be good; I'm on the highway again...