Auto/Airplane Adaptor For MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by merc669, Oct 2, 2006.

1. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Has anybody seen one of these yet. Or is Apple withholding the rights to allow Manufactures to build a Power Adaptor for use on an Aircraft or Car. I know there are Inverters you can buy but that adds a lot if you wish to set up in a plane without a lot of extra cable to trip over. Thanks!!

Bill.....

2. bossass macrumors regular

I got the inverter from kensington. I like it cause it works in the car too and for other things, like my cell phone and digi cam battery charger.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have an APC TeleAdapt invertor that i have had limitted success with. The problem I have encountered is that the invertor is rated for 75W but the MBP power adaptor wants to draw up to 85W.

Aircraft seats only supply 75W (at least on BA) so the 75W limit on the Invertor makes sense. This mismatch leads to the invertor getting very hot and eventually shutting down!

4. merc669 thread starter macrumors 6502

merc669

I know I can get an Inverter. I am trying to find something like the "iGo" Power Adaptor. These come with replacable tips for different uses but they also make it for the IPOD and other Apple Products. However they currently from my understanding make one for the MBP or MB due to the Magnetic Power Connector that connects to the MB or MBP. I was seeing if anybody else made one and or know if one will ever come out. Thanks for the inverter info though!!

Bill....;)

5. devman macrumors 65816

devman

yeah but you need to read what robbieduncan said again. The MBP draws 85W. Airline power only goes up to 75W.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Regardless of the power, I have yet to find one myself. I too have been looking for a flight to England. Not on BA...I'm afraid of them, but still.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well guys, I may have found the solution...

http://www.mikegyver.com/

I'm ordering one tonight. I'll let you know ASAP how it works.

-Kevin

8. merc669 thread starter macrumors 6502

merc669

Thanks Devmna, et all.... I guess I need to get my better glasses out. I looked at a site I use for choosing the best seat on the different airlines if you have a choice in the matter "www.seatguru.com" and looked in their guides and all it seems is limited to 75W as said ealier. However it might provide for some down time just to charge it and then disconnect it to use. Might work unless the airlines has a problem with theat.

Spaceball; I look forward to your review!! Please let me know how it works!!

Thanks Again!!

Bill.......:D

9. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Actually I think it's the charging that's the bigger draw. Your best bet might be to use the MBP with the battery removed. Or buy a 2nd or 3rd battery and charge them all before you leave.

10. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Why the hell won't apple come out with one of these yet?

this is fraking ridiculous

11. jTreu macrumors 6502

kensington is crap,i had like 3 from my old dell laptop break on me within 4-6 months.