Auto backup software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pulsewidth947, Jun 8, 2005.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Ok. We got an Xserve set up with all our students accounts. Is there anyway to schedule auto backups (e.g. 6pm each day) to update new/modified files on a backup drive?

Basically, I have to manually copy over the Users folder each night and it takes about 4 hours to copy over. I'm not convinced this is doing the external drive any good.

I have to lock the backup drive away during the day so, unfortunately, RAID is not an option.

Were using 10.2.8 and I cant see us upgrading any time soon (too costly and the powers that be are very tight with money), so Automator is of no use.
    If this could be accomplished by Applescript, would you be so kind as to tell me how to get it to only copy new/modified files.

Any suggestions would rock my world :)

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I've been using Chronosync for about 9 months on my home system, and it's worked great. I'm not running a server though.

3. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

thanks for that link. other than a few extra software things theres not an awful lot different between the server and client editions..

that software does look nice. i'll have a look at the demo. hope its not too limited compared to the full version! i'm also looking into applescripting, as if i could use that, it would be free!

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king