Auto brightness and it hurting battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Nov 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 601

The Game 161

Anybody think it does? or shouldn't it matter at all wether you have it on or off?

2. macrumors 6502

i noticed that when I have it on sometimes I check the brightness setting during the day and its on full and that drains battery a lot, I heard its better to turn it off and have the brightness set about 65% having at %85 drains about 30 mins worth

3. macrumors 6502a

chambone

It depends on your usage habits. If you have the slider set to 50-60%, it will drain the battery faster when you use the phone outside or in brightly lit rooms, because it boosts brightness closer to 100%. On the other hand, it will save battery power when using it in darker places because the backlight will be dimmed to levels below 50-60%.

If you have the slider set to 100%, auto brightness can only save energy.

4. thread starter macrumors 601

The Game 161

so if you have brightness at around 45-50% like I do using auto brightness can hurt battery life but if you have it set to around 30% and have auto brightness off it will be ok?

5. macrumors 6502a

chambone

Like I said it depends. If you use it outside and under office lighting all day, auto brightness will probably make it brighter than 45-50%. Which obviously costs more energy than a fixed 45-50%.

6. macrumors 65816

BenTrovato

It's true it's depends!

I have mine set to 30-40%. if you stay in a consistent light all day auto brightness won't have a big effect. Try it out with it off for a few days and see how you do. I gained about an extra hour by turning it off.

7. macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah i love the autobrightness in ios 6.. IMO pre ios 6..it never seemed to work right for me! not sure if its ios 6..or my ip5s sensor.. but it seems really quick/accurate to switch when i go outside