Auto-Correct & You

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alphatectz, Jun 5, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Well I just had about enuff with the iPhone's Auto-correct feature, right now i'm startinjg to miss my BB. The BB auto correct is great and all but the iPhone is everything I needed in one device, but that stupid auto-correct on the iPhone is F***in annoying. The iPhone either picks up a miss spelled word or it doesnt at all, wait theres more mac becomes max, be becomes me and so on.....

2. macrumors 601

gloss

You can a) turn it off and b) clear the dictionary.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

I turned it off before, but how do you clear the dictionary?

4. macrumors 68040

Knowlege Bomb

The most annoying is the phone changing "is" to "I'd". Which is the more common word? Really. Not only do I have to backspace once for the wrong letter, I have to go back three for the apostrophe and the capital "I".

Ridiculous.

5. macrumors 6502a

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary

(Looking on a 3.0 phone though, so not 100% sure it is the same on 2.x).

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Man, I know what you mean. I have to re-read my whole entire txt of what ever I wrote to make sure everything is right.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Not running 3.0, just checked it out, it's the same sequence as you said.

Thnx.
    But it will be great it the auto-correct would be freakin fixed !!!!!!

8. macrumors 6502

iPhone Autocorrect works just fine unlesss u typ lyk dis :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 68000

wwooden

Before I upgraded to 3.0, when I typed "i" then "m", it would change it to "I'm". Now it changes it to "IM" which is really annoying. Maybe I'll try resetting my dictionary to see if that help.s

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

That's good for you, you deserve a prize. :cool:

11. macrumors 601

gloss

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Now that sucks, I thought apple would of worked on auto-correct on FW/OS 3.0 yet again it's still a beta.

13. macrumors 6502a

Hopefully we can add words to the phones dictionary!

14. macrumors 601

gloss

You already can. Type the word enough times, cancel any correction suggestions, and the dictionary will learn the word after three or four times.

Of course, if you mean that hopefully you can add words to the dictionary manually, then yes, I agree. I'd like to be able to edit the dictionary so we can add/remove words without wiping the whole thing.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

+1, I added a few words before. It take a while for the iPhone to reconize it. But a list of words that were saved will be great, and I agree with you about the editing part. That we be so much helpful.

16. macrumors regular

rarity

I decided to turn mine off today. It doesn't learn some words ever. Most annoying is w to a and is to i'd. Also its to it's. The apostrophe isn't needed all the time!

17. macrumors 68020

JML42691

This is by far one of my biggest complaints regarding typing on an iPhone or iPod, do they really think that people use "I'd" more than "is"? And there needs to be a manual way to enter into the dictionary.

Another big complaint is changing of very common names. The one that I notice the most is "Ed," by typing this name the phone suggests changing it to "We." I have encountered this one way too often, and the phone seems to refuse to adjust the dictionary on that one.

18. macrumors member

I'm actually surprised at how well my iPhone cleaned up my texts while I was still getting used to the whole "touchscreen keyboard" shortly after I bought it. The most impressive to me is when it capitalizes certain names or people, places, companies, etc. Only gripe I have in that regard is that it capitalizes Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc., yet it doesn't capitalize Chevrolet or Ford?

Besides that, it works wonders. Plus I swear a LOT when I text (i'm 19, leave me alone) so I'm surprised that it picked up all of my "naughty" words.

19. macrumors regular

everytime i type 'lol' it comes out 'LOL' and makes me look like a douche. no one caps 'LOL' unless it's that funny.

i cancel the spell check and type it 'lol' but nother happens =[

20. macrumors 601

gloss

*nix*

21. macrumors regular

Maybe the spell checker is smarter than we originally thought:D:p

Just kidding!

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

I got use to the caps lol.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

:rolleyes:

24. macrumors 601

The auto-correct is what makes the iPhone's keyboard usable. Without it, the keyboard is impossible to type on. If you are having problems with it, then you aren't using it correctly.

Just type, let it do its thing. Once in a while it will do something you don't want, but that's a lot easier than fixing the millions of typos made when auto-correct is off.

The "LOL" thing doesn't happen to me. It might be a fix in 3.0. I also have a contact that fixes other annoyances like swear words. No, I'm not "ducking" kidding. Just make a contact called whatever you want, and in the Company section just put all the words that you don't want it to auto-correct, separated by spaces. I put every swear word I can think of, I put "lol", and I put some other stuff, like lowercase names, "its" (because I'm okay with leaving out an apostrophe, but I never want an extraneous one), and other stuff like that.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Well for the most part it works good but then the small words the iPhone just becomes stupid. As for companies and so on for the begining letter it's a plain just to go back and fix each one.

I agreed with you, this is suppose to be a smart phone not some piece if s**t.