Auto-load a program at startup?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DeKa, Oct 14, 2002.

1. DeKa macrumors member

Hi there,

I've just recently switched - I've bought a 17" iMac which I love!

What I want to be able to do is auto-load iCal and Apple Mail at startup. How do I do this? I've been looking for an equivalent of the Windows "Startup" folder in the Start Menu but can't find one in OSX 10.2

I'm sure there's an easy way. Can anyone help me?
    Thanks,
    Derek.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I dont know off hand.... but have you tried just putting a shortcut for the app in the "Startup Items" folder in the Library?

3. backspinner macrumors 6502a

system preferences
    login items
    add...

that's it, no need to save or submit anything. just log out and back in and watch it work!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Go to System Preferences and use the GUI to add any number of programs to your Startup Items (Login section iirc).

5. backspinner macrumors 6502a

don't try to mess with that, it's for geeky system level things and not for user applications

6. DeKa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick replies!!

I knew it'd be easy - I just couldn't find it.

While I'm at it, there are two other login items: FAXstf Toolbox and Microsoft Database Daemon (with an Entourage logo)

I'm assuming FAXstf is a Fax client? I don't use faxing from the iMac so can I get rid of that? Also, I don't use Entourage - I use Mail cos it's a smaller nicer program, so do you think I could get rid of the Microsoft Database Daemon as well?

Thanks,
    Derek.

--from Sydney Australia

7. backspinner macrumors 6502a

you're welcome!

And yes, you can get rid of the startup items that you don't like. But keep in mind that these apps maybe won't work or will bark if you start using them in the future. Unfortunately there is no way to temporarily disable these things but: you can always put them back in place yourself if you need them.

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I'm sure you can get rid of FAXstf and you are right in saying it is for faxing...maybe it got put in there when you installed it (if you did)...nice to see another sydneysider..where abouts you from?

9. DeKa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone :)

They're removed now.
    I'm in Killara mmmdreg. Where are you? What Mac do you have? I'm loving this thing so far! When I use Windows PCs at work I keep going to the left to close programs and windows - quite funny!

Derek.:cool:

10. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

the microsoft one is for the entourage reminders that pop open even if no ms apps are running. remove it if you dont want those reminders.