Auto-mount a Windows share on boot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mustgroove, Oct 1, 2006.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

My MB is connected to my Windows PC, which is like a file server basically, and I often need to access the Windows machine by SMB when I need files...

But is there a way to auto-mount the Windows shared drives on boot-up? Because having to mount 3 shared drives manually at each boot-up is getting on my nerves...

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Check out this thread. I'd imagine the Windows shared drives would work the same way.

3. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

4. KingRocky macrumors member

I automount SMB shares at startup using Automator:

1. In Automator, under the Finder library, double-click Get Specified Servers action.

2. In the right-hand pane, click the little plus sign, and add all your network shares, one at a time. For Windows shares, it should look like: SMB:\\SERVER\SHARE. For compatibility reasons, your shares should not have spaces in the folder names.

3. Add the Connect To Servers action.

4. Click the little down triangle next to URLs and choose "Use Results From Previous Action."

5. Choose File, Save As. Under the file format, choose "Application," and pick a name and location for your app.

6. Double-click your new action to test. It should mount all your shares silently, without popping up Finder windows.

7. Add the action to your startup items!

5. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that KingRocky, do you know if it works also for auto-mounting after waking from sleep? Because I've noticed that my network drives aren't there any more after waking from sleep, and it'd be handy to have them auto-mounted at that point as well...

6. KingRocky macrumors member

No, it does not. Finder will automatically unmount them when your Mac sleeps.

I'm sure the someone competent in AppleScript can write a script that will mount them again at wake-up, but I'm not that person!

I just run the Automator program again after waking up my Mac.

Although, if my Windows server keeps acting up, I'm gonna' drop-kick it out the frackin' window. . .