Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
I've recently become an iPod mini owner. So far, I love it, and everything works as expected.

I noticed one strange thing, however. I left the iPod at home over a weekend in my home. When I came back, clicking the "play" button on the wheel did not wake it from sleep. Clicking the center turned it on, showing the Apple logo that indicates a reboot. Nothing was lost, not even battery strength.

I haven't seen this happen since then, but I haven't let it sit idle for three days since then either.

What do you think happened? Was it a software crash, triggering a reboot at the next usage? Or perhaps some power-management software exists to cause a full shutdown after a few days of being asleep?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
shamino said:
I've recently become an iPod mini owner. So far, I love it, and everything works as expected.

I noticed one strange thing, however. I left the iPod at home over a weekend in my home. When I came back, clicking the "play" button on the wheel did not wake it from sleep. Clicking the center turned it on, showing the Apple logo that indicates a reboot. Nothing was lost, not even battery strength.

I haven't seen this happen since then, but I haven't let it sit idle for three days since then either.

What do you think happened? Was it a software crash, triggering a reboot at the next usage? Or perhaps some power-management software exists to cause a full shutdown after a few days of being asleep?

The second one. In my experience, iPods always go full-shutdown after a few days of not being used.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Yes it is the second one that happened. After i think it is two days it goes into full shutdown rather than sleep, and just basically is restarting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.