Auto sensing ethernet

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by trainguy77, Jun 21, 2004.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

just wondering, from what year does auto sensing start. Would my, emac 1 gig have auto sensing? Or do i need cross over cables

2. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Do you mean by "auto sensing ethernet" that when you plug an ethernet cable into the computer you don't need to do anything else and you're immediately online?

Because if thats what you mean, then it's a feature that came along with Panther, so if you have panther there should be no problem :)

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

He's asking if he needs a cross-over cable or if the Mac will auto-sense the wiring.

That eMac should autosense. I'll see if I can find out for sure.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

No, he means that the ethernet hardware will auto-sense if it is connected to another ethernet device, regardless of whether it is using a crossover or normal cable.

All I know is that all gigabit ethernet ports are autosensing.

Lee Tom

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

7. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I know it wasn't my question, but thanks for the info. Lately, I *thought* my Gigabit Ethernet Mac was autosensing, but hadn't found documentation of that or had gotten around to testing.

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

9. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I just noticed that you need panther, but i am using 10.2.8 with my ati graphics emac, so i still need cross over ethernet cables!

ps. is it worth the money to upgrade to panther for all the new stuff its got?

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Opinions vary. For me, a resounding "yes". Others think it's overpriced. I love Exposé. I love better iDisk integration. I like the Finder improvements. All in all, I'm really quite happy with it. It was definitely worth it to me. Your mileage may vary.

11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

try 10.3 for a week, than go back to 10.2. the difference is astonishing.

upgrading now would be a waste of money however, as 10.4 should be out relatively soon.