AutoCAD on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dieselg4, Dec 8, 2003.

1. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

Ok I think I already know the asnwer to his, but does anyone know if there is, or ever will be, a version of AutoCAD for OS X? Am I that crazy, or is Autodesk missing a big opportunity here?
    I use a PC @ work, but have a mac @ home. Yeah, I could use VirtualPC, but to run a system hoggins program in a system hogging virtual enviroment is not my cup of tea.

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

it doesn't exist yet for osx but here is a url with some info of the possibility of autocad for mac users. http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6325

I remember in 94 my girlfriend in university was taking architecture and the computer lab they used for autocad was 100% mac. why would it go pc after that? the mac is where any quality design app of any kind should be.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

AutoDesk asked people, maybe a year ago, what they thought about Mac OS X versions of their applications.

I haven't seen any news since then, but there is a Mac CAD site that you might want to find and check. I think it's connected to MacNN, so you might want to start there.

4. jkeithh macrumors regular

I found this website http://www.macnn.com/news/19535

5. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

"the mac is where any quality design app of any kind should be."

autocad=bloatware

there are lots of quality cad apps for the mac. most can import/export to autocad.

i do just that with vectorworks, import surveys and files from others in the office who use autocad.

6. rjstanford macrumors 6502

But when you're responsible for submitting files on multi-million-dollar projects, you don't take the risk that something in your "99.99% AutoCAD compatible" software will cause a glitch that you don't catch. For personal use, that's fine (although few people use ACD for personal use). For corporate use, that's not an acceptible risk without some fairly massive return for the business - and "ooh, I get to use a Mac in the office" isn't generally considered a business advantage.

Sorry...

7. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

8. Ezra macrumors newbie

I'm in a mid sized Arch firm doing projects between 5 to 40 M in scope. We use Vectorworks 9.5.2. While all of our consultants use ACAD, we don't have any real problems exchanging information. ACAD does not need to be the defacto standard of the Architecture office. We are a perfect example.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It was early in the summer I think. I would love it if AutoDesk came out with AutoCAD for OS X right now, that would save me so much time and frustration working on my finals...

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've had good luck with Vectorworks too, but I still have VPC on my powerbook to run Architectural Desktop (Object-oriented Architectural version of Autocad for those not in the know) when I have to update or work on a client's drawing. Mac offices are a rarity, but I like it when I see them.

11. dieselg4 thread starter macrumors regular

dieselg4

Thanks for all your input. I've never used vector works but I could give it a try. My office is soon swtching to AutCAD 2004, which isn't evn necesarrily compatible with Architectural Desktop 3.3 (which we currently use). That might make vectorworks a bit sketchier for my purposes.

Autocad bloated? Yes most certainly! Its got more "legacy" issues than I can count, mostly becasue it wants to satisfy EVERYONE who might use it. Whihc every release there are new fetaures that are both good and redundant, simply because they keep around nearly every old command. The entire program could use a serious re-think.

However, its what the firm uses and I'm stuck with that for now. We also do some pretty complex xref'ing, have dizzying layer standards, etc., all of which is goign to get more complicated with using new featured of 2004.

For now though, I hope Autodesk is listening . . . .

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

that is interesting to hear. well at least they are ponderng it. with the new g5, it would not be to unreasonable for have autocad for OS X. however it would be a large cost in the development cycle to make a verison for OS X. that would be hell of a port to OS X. I don't think the market would be big enough to justify the cost. You never though, i don't not really sure how much of the other industry that would use autocad, but use macs instead of pc. anyhow if they think they will make money you will see a verison of autocad for the mac.

13. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

sure stan, if you must use it, go ahead.

but if you don't absolutely have to, and would rather use a mac, there are perfectly good alternatives.

whatever meets your needs and budget.

how much for an autocad seat these days?

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Cheaper way: Get on the plane, go to Malaysia or Indonesia or somewhere and pick it up for $5 :)

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Except that airfare would cost about the same...

17. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

You'll never see Autocad on the Mac

Forget about Autocad for the Mac. Autodesk who owns Discreet may already be canceling support for Cleaner 6, a Mac heavy application. Also this is the company with the closest ties to 3D Studio Max, another application you'll nevers see on the Mac.

18. big macrumors 65816

big

or purchase PowerCadd... honestly, the cheapest and best software out there... at ENGSW.com. I am not a salesman, just a very avid user...