AutoCAD via VPC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doraemon, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Hi all.

Can anyone give me a quick report on how AutoCAD (2004 or so) performs when run in VPC 7?

Thanks! :)
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Haven't run it personally, but just for the record, have you used VPC at all? By most accounts nothing runs very well, especially if it is graphic intensive. Doing things like word processing, email or such can be OK, but beyond that... not worth it.

I use it to connect to work through a VPN, but that's ALL I'll use it for.

Make sure you use Windows 98 if you can or 2000. If you use XP it is even slower.

Forget games or anything similar.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
  3. Doraemon thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Yes. I have run VPC. But it's some time ago (version 5, I think).

It's really not about Games or anything else. It's only about AutoCAD as it is unavailable for Mac. And I'd prefer not to have to buy a PC just for AutoCAD.
    And VPC 7 brings some improvements after all, doesn't it?!
    I am not sure, but I think AutoCAD doesn't make use of the video card, does it? And if not, I was thinking/hoping that it would run (more or less) well in VPC environment. This thread is only about confirming or denying this thought of mine.

Thanks. :)
  4. dvdh macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2004
    I run it (AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 2000 on VPC 7) on my iBook G3/900/32/640. It is usable, although there are couple of minor bugs (one of which affects how the cursor appears). I generally don't use it for the majority of AutoCAD work as a I also have a PC desktop, but do use it if I am on the road and have to make changes to a drawing.

So you can definitely do it, and because AutoCAD is not the demanding processor wise you can probably do alright even if your machine is isn't that much faster than mine.

As previously posted, stay away from XP, it's too heavy, but if you have to run XP, it will work, just make sure that you turn down all the extra appearance cr$p that Microsoft worked it.