AutoCAD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MACkin, Nov 29, 2006.

1. MACkin macrumors newbie

I'm just getting into autocad and I downloaded the trial and it recommends 3.0 GHz and 2 gb ram. I'm planning on getting a mbp 2.33 ghz and 2 gb ram now. I don't see apple with a 3.0 ghz computer period, or anyone else for that matter, so I was wondering if those recommendations are excessive?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That number was probably cooked up with the old Pentium chips in mind. Chop the number roughly in half for newer Intel stuff.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

A lot of software manufacturers are still using the P4's inflated clock speeds in minimum system requirements.

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I would go as far as to say that a MBP with 2.33GHz and 2GIGs ram will run AutoCAD very well. I think it will run 99% of ALL software very well.

5. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

there is a great website for architects using macs. I believe it is Architosh and I have read that the Macbook Core Duo's with 2 GB is running Cad perfectly....in fact some are saying better than their work PC's.

Link

This link is a dirrect link to a specific thread about Cad on a Macbook

6. MACkin thread starter macrumors newbie

comparing a dell laptop with the mbp:

they both have the same processors 2.33 duo, 2 gb ram. mbp has 120 gb hd but it is slower, 5400 rpm. dell is 100 gb, 7200 rpm. They both have super drives. Dell comes with office, mbp with iworks. Dell has 512 mb graphics and mbp 256. The mbp is $100 cheaper than the dell.

would the graphics memory and/or the hd make a big difference? would it be easily upgradeable on the mac?

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

The HDD wont make a huge difference, it will make a slight one, but hardly anything to fret over.

The graphics could be the killer though, but really, it depends what you want to do. Using AutoCAD I can't see the graphics card making a huge difference as that'll mainly use Processor and RAM, which they both have plenty of. However, for games and such (As we all know) the PC would do the trick, for anything else, the Mac is the way to go.

For upgrading, im not sure. You'll have to seek the advice of someone with a MBP...

8. MACkin thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't plan on playing any games really. I would like to do video and audio production though.

9. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

If you go to the link I put up you will see that there are several people using macbooks with AutoCad quite well. Your performane will obviously be much better with a MBP.

10. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Does it list any specific type of processor? Since the C2D are, well, dual core, it should run just fine (but make sure to get at least 2GB of RAM). I run ArchiCAD at 1.5GB RAM and it runs fine but would go quicker if I added more RAM...

11. MACkin thread starter macrumors newbie

I like the looks of the regular macbook better, I think I'm going to wait and see if it gets 128 mb graphics or better. Then I'll get 3 gb ram and that should be good.