Autodesk AutoCAD for Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by leekohler, Jan 6, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Does anyone know if this program exists for Macs? I posted a similar thread about Virtual PC running on an iBook to run AutoCAD for a friend of mine earlier. But if this is a possibility it would be great. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

There is one program. I forgot what it is called. But no, as of now there is no autocad - or a direct competitor.

Virtual PC will be a great hassle also. Probably, will run way to slow.

kyle

3. billywitt macrumors newbie

I have VPC 5 installed on my G3 iBook with 256mb ram. Not a very fast machine. Nevertheless, ACAD 2000 runs acceptably as long as the drawing doesnt get too large. Luckily I deal with smaller files. The bigger problem for me has been getting my Epson 740 to print consistently through VPC. I am constantly having to reset the USB connection. If you're patient, this setup can work for you.

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I think I've heard of a dxf viewer, but ...

There is Vectorworks 11 for OS X. We use it. There is also some other specialized cad packages for OS X. I forget the name. It "unwraps" drawings for manufacture.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks guys. That's somewhat encouraging. It's too bad there isn't AutoCAD for Mac. My friend is an architect and loves Macs and doesn't want to buy another PC and is anxiously hoping for AutoCAD for Mac. But he's buying a Mac regardless. :)

6. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

7. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

I am one of many many people who only wishes that AutoCad was available for Mac. Too bad it hasn't been since release 12, and while there was rumour that it was coming back to Mac about 2 years ago, this seems to have all but been forgotten.

The Virtual PC route is plausible, but not entirely bug free (the cursor doesn't update properly to reflect the choosen tool) and it is not fast enough to reasonably handle 3D (not that 90 percent of ACAD users ever go into 3D).

VectorWorks is a better possibility, but is really geared to the architectural side of things, as is ArchiCad. If you are looking for a modeler with limited draft capacity you could try FormZ (which is now in version 5)

Does any one know if Bentley MicroStation runs on UNIX. If so that could be a possibility as well.