Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJiGGs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I have my settings set to automatically adjust brightness, and auto illuminate keys in low light, but it doesn't work.

My first i5 MBA 13" wouldnt let me turn on my backlight keys if i had it auto illuminate and it would come on by itself, but after i got it exchanged due to bad sound, the new one auto illuminate doesnt work. Neither does the change in brightness.

Should i return? and get it exchanged?

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
I have my settings set to automatically adjust brightness, and auto illuminate keys in low light, but it doesn't work.

My first i5 MBA 13" wouldnt let me turn on my backlight keys if i had it auto illuminate and it would come on by itself, but after i got it exchanged due to bad sound, the new one auto illuminate doesnt work. Neither does the change in brightness.

Should i return? and get it exchanged?

Sounds like an odd problem. I haven't had that issue at all--however I choose to manually control mine. Perhaps someone else on here has had some issues.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Take it back. I am always worried when a brand new machine has even the smallest problem especially if it's hardware related. Don't take any chances here.

DJiGGs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
just tested with my buddies laptop
when we both have it on auto illuminate (for backlit keys)
it doesnt let him increase brightness of back lit, since its on automatic

but it mine is on automatic and lets me increase and its not automatic

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
just tested with my buddies laptop
when we both have it on auto illuminate (for backlit keys)
it doesnt let him increase brightness of back lit, since its on automatic

but it mine is on automatic and lets me increase and its not automatic

The backlit controls get disabled if the laptop thinks there is enough light. Try covering the sensor area and then try adjusting your backlit. It should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.