Autoflush

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eraserhead, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is really annoying on the Mac that if you don't eject a disk properly (eg a portable HD/usb pen) is it possible to set up a Mac so it auto-flushes the buffers so all data is written to external drives immediately?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not that I know of, but as long as the drive has an activity light, you can usually see when the write has completed, which is generally pretty quickly--I don't think the MacOS does any lengthy caching.

Is this any different from the situation with newer versions of Windows? I thought you had to go through the whole "disconnect" procedure to remove, say, and thumb drive from a Win2K or XP box. Heck, even a floppy could be screwed up if you didn't wait for the write to finish before hitting the eject button.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'm not following, how is the driver software going to know when you are about to yank your drive/thumbdrive/cable out without you telling it?

Are you saying that your computer takes its time writing data?

4. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, all Mac's/Unix computers do if you eject usb flash drives/portable hard drives can get data corruption and need reformatting if you don't eject them properly (whereas with Windows you can just pull them out.)

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

They may become corrupt if it was being written to and in Windows you run the same risk (i.e. Windows throws the same error/warning), you really should eject it first no matter what platform.

6. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It has never happened to me with Windows, it's not when you are actually copying data, it's if once it has finished you just pull the portable disk out without ejecting it in the OS. You notice this happening if you have an external HD and you let it spin down and then shutdown your Mac, before doing so the external will spin up again for a moment.