Autohide Menu Bar ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CHAOS STEP, Apr 14, 2006.

1. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Ok, I don't know why you can't get the menu bar to auto hide like the dock, it would be a nice feature.

I know that there are some programs out there that let you do this, but I have yet to find a simple one that does just this without turning everything into a big Kiosk-esque nightmare.

Is there any such app or scipt or something?

2. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

The ONLY programt that does "AUTOHIDE" is DVD player if you're on full screen mode. LOL

Sorry I wish I knew...

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So does iPhoto 06, although this is of absolutely no help to the OP.

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

You could try MenuShade. Well while this doesn't minimize the menu bar like the dock can be, it does hide it by making it completely transparent so that it disappears when your mouse isn't on top of it. Just set shaded brightness to the lowest and unshaded brightness to highest.

5. CHAOS STEP thread starter macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Thanks, I'll give that app a try, although i take it that it only makes it invisible rather than letting me uses the space there.

I would be interested why apple don't have a hide function available, even if it only saves you a small amount of space (which would be handy on my media mini).

edit: It doesn't do transparancy :(

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Oh wow your right, thats my mistake. I just downloaded it the other day and I had a blackish background, it looked transparent to me. :eek: But gah I changed my background and its just black. :(

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

8. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

The reason you can't minimize it is because you need the items in it when using a program. File, Edit, View, whatever. You need to use those in any program that you have open.

9. CHAOS STEP thread starter macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I I had tried that, although I had some difficulty using it - and for some reason you have limited configuration - there is a trade off between the settings you had. - Has to be said that I admittedly didn't use it for very long - it seems to be trail software too.

10. CHAOS STEP thread starter macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I know, I just want it autohidden - like how you can have the dock set up - i.e. if i wanted to use file, edit etc i just hover the mouse to where the menu bar had disapeared to, it would emerge and then i could click on file, edit etc.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member