1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Automated Backup to FAT Drive

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by LastLine, Oct 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

HI Guys,

I've got a particular drive that I need to backup to that is (for various reasons) stuck as ExFAT, is there any piece of software that I can use to do an automated/scheduled backup to that drive from my Mac? I can't format to HFS+/OS X Journaled unfortunately so Time Machine, SuperDuper are out of the window.

Any answers much appreciated.

2. macrumors G4

It seems to me that your backup drive should be used exclusively for backup. If you have a task that is as critical as backup or more so, then it should have its own dedicated drive. Drives are cheap. You don't have to be.

3. macrumors 65816

Thank you for your rather...blunt insight.

Unfortunately at the minute I do need to be cheap, I need to get a backup up and running on a drive with shared use at the moment. In time I'll get a dedicated drive, but I need a solution for now.

4. macrumors 68030

Download the "backup" tool from Apple.

It will do regular style back everything up to a single file type backups that you can schedule, and as far as i know they can go on any type of file system (they're basically just like a zip file).

But seriously... you'd be better off reformatting the drive as HFS+ and using time machine to get better version support, etc.

edit:
    i cant currently find the tool on apple's website, but i have it here on mountain lion, i've had it since snow leopard. i use it for backup of large VMDK files that time machine chokes on, and TM for everything else.

it has an umbrella icon... looking for it...

----------

ahhh...

turns out it is "mobileme backup". which you can use to backup to places other than mobile me.

looks to be discontinued... :-\

if nothing else, you could back up your system using TAR (unix shell command) scheduling a job for it?

5. macrumors 65816

Thanks for the feedback, I remember that tool actually, I'll have a look when I get home. I appreciate long term a full time machine backup is most effective, this is a short term stop gap until payday ;-)