Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasoneskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hello! Im trying to figure out how to write a very simple apple script or automater task that when run, will automatically clean my Web history, iMessage history, and delete chat transcripts from my other chat app Adium. I know this can't be difficult. It's essentially a script that will permanently (skipping trash can) delete several log files.

Additionally, looking for it to be accessible when double clicked AND, if I choose, each time I start my computer. Anyone know an easy script that exists for this?

Thanks!

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I don't know anything about apple script or automator. Look into a simple python script that deletes all the files that store those things.

kepgnar

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2015
Hello! Im trying to figure out how to write a very simple apple script or automater task that when run, will automatically clean my Web history, iMessage history, and delete chat transcripts from my other chat app Adium. I know this can't be difficult. It's essentially a script that will permanently (skipping trash can) delete several log files.

Additionally, looking for it to be accessible when double clicked AND, if I choose, each time I start my computer. Anyone know an easy script that exists for this?

Thanks!

you should be able to do that with a standard shell script...

I'm not much of a scripter, but:

#!/bin/bash

sudo rm -rf /path/to/iMessage history
sudo rm -rf /path/to/safari history
etc.

save as "nohistory.sh" or whatever your preference is.

then do "chmod a+x nohistory.sh" from terminal to make it executable.

you can run from terminal using "./nohistory.sh" OR you can do "get info" and set it to open with Terminal.

from there you could add to login items maybe, or turn it into an Automator application. Also, as far as trying to add a password to the script to make it completely unattended, that's a different debate.

I'm a noob at this, and it's off the top of my head, so there's prob a more elegant solution, but that's what I would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.