Automatic Backup System

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Hmm. Seems like an overpriced idea, IMHO. I have an 80 gig drive that does automated backups, it cost me like $100 all said and done. Tho it might be trickier to back things up across a network, it sounds like they're targeting home users as well... i just don't see what features make these things so expensive, unless you *really* need the network backups...

paul

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I like it...but 120GB isn't enough. Get that thing to work with a small RAID setup, say 2-250GB drives. ;)

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

There's a unix command to back up between two macs, just get an old tower, put it in the closet with an ethernet connection and bam! you've got a backup server.

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Um... yeah you might have problems... like connecting to it from the internet.

Personal Websharing isn't exactally perfect... or easy.

Also unless that unix command backsup your data all the time... its not like this machiene.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Cept the only really safe backup is one that is kept off-site....

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have never had much luck with the automatic backup systems that are on the market like Dantz Retrospect Express. Always had errors, got frustrated and quit. I do my backups on alternate days to Zip 100. Now with the size of files, have a real need to switch to a CD.