Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclomaniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
NC
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm looking for something a little different than the other threads that I searched through talked about. I have a powerbook and I want to back it up to an external firewire harddrive, and I want to find out the most reliable, and easiest to use automatic backup software. I have .Mac already, but I need to back up more than there is space allotted for there. I use this computer for work, and I need all my work files (which include a lot of large photos and graphics), backed up at least once a week. In the past, I just burned CDs or DVDs of my projects as I went along, but now I think I need to be more organized about all this. I don't mind doing manual backups, but it would be nice if I was reminded, or if it could be done automatically, once a week. Does anyone have any advice on the best software for this? Thanks!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Look into Dantz's "Retrospect" multi functional scheduling, automatic reminders, a variety of media. I've been using it in my Graphics profession for over 10 years.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
There are lots of programs for this - I recently was looking for one, and searched versiontracker as well as this site: http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/cats.php

Look for features which are important for you, and feedback on the various review sites.

For what it is worth, I ended up purchasing Synk, which so far has functioned perfectly in keeping critical working files synchronized between my PM and PB, and I am planning to use it to back up files to an external hard drive when it arrives (it can schedule automatic backups as well). Also it is competitively priced. Saying this, I have no 1st hand knowledge of other programs.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Consider the free program Silverkeeper from LaCie. Comes with their drives or can be downloaded from the LaCie site. It can make a bootable backup (as does CCC) and is faster and much simpler imo. Silverkeeper can be set to run automatically as well.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
carbon copy cloner's sync software doesn't seem to wrok too well. I would use dantz retrospect. (It comes with OWC external firewire hd) I was in the same situation and it seems to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.