automatic light dim feature and PRAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fallacy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. fallacy macrumors member

Hello people

Just got a couple questions that i'd appreciate some help with. I've noticed that my macbook ( 2.0 intel duo core) automatically dims the screen after apx 1min whenever it sits idle.. eventually the screen just goes black which is fine if i'm doing nothing, but it even does it when i'm watching a movie. Pretty annoying actually and i'm looking for a way to keep this from happening. Currently the batter is on "best performance" which probably has something to do with it.

Also, i've been told that resetting the PRAM is a good idea to do from time to time. Can someone explain how this is done.

many thx people.

-F

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If the moves are full screen it shouldn't do that.

I'd not bother resetting the PRAM unless you have issues. Resetting it periodically for not particular reason is not a great idea.

The Apple support site, as usual, has the answer if you search for it.

3. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

the problems are kind of pc-ish. She locks up sometimes, the keyboard even crapped out on me once, it's kind of getting slow when running multiple apps and restarting it sometimes fails as in it simply doesn't restart but hangs in this circular pattern ( not the colour one ). I'm a first time user and I can honestly say now that these things to do crash and hang just like pc's.

anyway thx.

macbook 2.0
    1.25 gigs of ram
    11gigs of hard drive space free on an 80 gig drive.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Try repairing your permissions (do a search on the Guides tab above if you don't know how).

If you are still having issues try resetting the PRAM (see my previous reply)

If that still doesn't help you could try buying more RAM or running fewer apps at one time, but you should have enough RAM for the machine to be pretty fast right now.

It should not hang completely. You may have more serious issues...

5. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i've repaired the disk repermissions a few times now.. it does help, but i heard that resetting the PRAM was the way to go if problems persisted. I'll search that site then and find out how.

thx.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No need to search! Click on the word "answer" in my original post. That'll take you straight to the right page.