Automatic Locking Feature on G5s

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jessica.barks, Jan 7, 2005.

1. jessica.barks macrumors newbie

We have recently received new computers that automatically lock folders that are created. This creates a problem because we use servers and we all need to access the information. How do we turn this feature off? Anyone?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

When you say "lock", what do you mean? That others can't access the files because of permissions?

This is likely an issue with permissions - since OS X (which the new Macs would be using) uses UNIX-type file permissions, typically the folders are created in home accounts, and typically those folders are read/write accessible only to the owner of that account.

This is fixable, but, before we go into that, does that sound like what might be going on?

3. jessica.barks thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. To fix each folder, you have to go to get info and file sharing and change everyones permissions from read only to read and write. This default creates a lot of problems.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Another question: the new computers are Macs running OS X?

Also: if OS X, is it OS X Server?

Edit: never mind.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There is a fix to this, but, sadly, I'm away from my Mac and, for that matter, a UNIX system. Hopefully, someone else will respond here. If not, I'll respond when I get home later today.

Are the folders scattered throughout the account(s), or can they all be located underneath one parent folder (which could, for example, be the Desktop of the account, or any other folder)?

Also, is there more than one account that people need access to? Is the account the same on all the new computers, or named differently?

6. jessica.barks thread starter macrumors newbie

Further Explanation

We do not keep our files on our individual hard drives, only on our servers. I work for an ad department for a newspaper. Our regional tech is lacking to say the least because he doesn't know how to fix this (among other things). All the folders I am speaking of are on the server. We do use other servers for our regional ads (usually only eps's), but mainly one server which EVERYTHING is on. Any help is appreciated whenever you can get it to us. We have been dealing with this for several months and it creates problems also with archiving and burning discs.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, cool, if it's been several months, I'm not so worried about waiting until I get home. :)

So, to be sure I have the info I'll need (or others who can answer!):

1. what is the server hardware (sounds like a PowerMac G5)?
    2. which OS does it run (OS X 10.3.x, presumably, or OS X Server?)?
    3. to how many accounts do you need access? (sounds like one, but is it a few main ones and then one for each user, etc.)?
    4. are the files centrally located on the server accounts (i.e., within one central parent folder) or spread out all over the drive/account?

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of server is it and what OS is running on it?

Are the files you want access to on a separate drive from the OS & apps?
    If so, could you change the drive to 'ignore permissions on this volume'?
    Doing this made life a lot easier for working from our server... mind you, we never work directly from the server -- just copy off the project folder over gigabit ethernet to our desktops.

Core items like logos, photo libraries etc. are linked to, though.

Sharepoints is also quite a good tool for setting things up.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I knew someone would come through before I got home - great info and link, BV!

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hi - What part of the country you from and if it's in Michigan can I have his job, please? :p

Anyways, your permissions are the issue as has been pointed out... so other than pandering for a job, I've got nuttin'.

Rob