Automatic login causing OSX apps to fail...(10.3.9)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snickelfritz, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. snickelfritz macrumors 65816


    Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
    If I restart my Machine with automatic login enabled, it starts up and logs in fine, but apps such as Safari, Mail, Disk Utility, Activity Monitor either fail to launch, or do not launch completely ("Application not responding...").

    Logging out, then logging back in to the same account clears up the problem.
    Disabling automatic login also appears to work.
    May be a helpful workaround until April 29th for others experiencing the same or similar problems with 10.3.9.
  2. Lau Guest

    Have you tried getting rid of the 'plist' files? I had this problem and this solved it. They're in User>Liabary>Preferences> and will be named eg: , or, etc. Close the program, drag the appropriate plist out and dump them on the desktop. When you open the program again it will create a new one, and the program should load up ok, but your preferences will all be default. If all is fine, you can trash the file on your desktop.

    I once sorted all the programs out by just doing the diskutility one, so maybe try that one first. If you trash the Safari one, it will save all your bookmarks but add the default ones too, but if you trash the mail one you'll need to type the mail account stuff again, but all your saved emails will still be there once it opens.

    As long as you keep the old plist on your desktop, you can always put it back in the preferences folder anyway! Hope that helps (and makes sense!).

    Anyone know why this happens? I get this problem periodically too.
  3. snickelfritz thread starter macrumors 65816


    Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried trashing the plist and it had no effect. (first thing I tried)
    I also tried disabling all third-party fonts; no effect.
    Reinstalled 10.3.9 using combo updater.(repaired permissions, boot from panther CD repaired startup, install update, restart, repair permissions); no effect.
    Apparently, my account is hosed for some reason. (all other non-admin accounts are working normally)
    My system is not impacted by the 10.3.9 java issue.

    Curiously, the first time I disabled automatic login, my password failed to work. Got back into the account, changed the password and disabled automatic login, and it's now working.

    This is definitely the worst problem I've ever experienced in OSX.

Share This Page