Automatic Shutdown /Logout Scheduler

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aussie_geek, Nov 27, 2004.

1. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Is there an app out there than can automatically logout all users at a specific time of the day without the confirmation box comming up. I have searched VersionTracker and have tried all the apps regarding scheduled shutdowns etc and they are not suitable.

What I want to do is force all apps / users to quit all apps and logout (I don't care if there is unsaved work) at a specific time. The reason is to get my brother off the Mac before midnight! ;)

aussie_geek

2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

i havn't found one either, the autoshutdown thing in open firmware doesn't work very good when adobe cs is running.

why dont you give him the Macintosh Colour Classic in your sig, it will take him to midnight to do anything! :D

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

How about Preferences->Energy Saver->Schedule?

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Use the built in one, works just fine.
    System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Schedule

It will give you a grace period of a few minutes before it kills everyones open documents and shuts down. Otherwise, you can stop it and shutdown when you want to.

Attached Files:

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

^^^

Not all of us have 10.3

I have 10.2, and this application does more then that, because this also logs you out and specific times and such.

6. aussie_geek thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Yeah, I have tried that app (kutdown) but it comes up with a dialogue box warning the user that the system will shut down after 'xxx' seconds. There is an option to cancel the shutdown and therefore defeats the purpose.

Regarding the scheduler, it has the saame thing as well - a box comes up warning the user it will shutdown.

aussie_geek

7. aussie_geek thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

last resort....

:D

It's comming very close to that!! - :p

aussie_geek

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What does your brother do on the computer? Can you simultaneously log in as yourself, in the background, and leave that account open, and have him log in via fast user switching? Then, the scheduled shutdown will only be in your account. Shouldn't the popup only appear to you (the admin) but not him, when it comes then? And the timer will elapse, and the computer will shut down, including both accounts.

BTW, do tell us the Cinderella pumpkin story behind this! *gets all curious*

:D

9. aussie_geek thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Well.... Here is the situation

Hmmm,

Will have to try that - login as admin in the background..

Regarding the Cinderella Pumpkin component. Well, he is fascinated with online gaming (spends about 12 hours a day on the computer). As he is up all night, the computer is on with the sounds of Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy in the background with a combination of him cursing the computer that he is sometimes not winning and the sounds of a light saber slashing through some virtual opponent. :rolleyes:

When this happens 5 times a week, it is hard to keep regular hours in the household and everyone becomes tired and fed up with it! He needs to just give us a break or we will all go insane!! :eek:

aussie_geek ( in desperate need of a good night's sleep :p)

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

OK, how about a crontab entry as root that runs the shutdown command at the time you want? You'd run "shutdown -h now". You can also replace "now" with a number (seconds) to wait before shutdown. There will be a console message issued, but the system *will* shutdown. If you don't know about crontab, do "man crontab" in a terminal window.

HTH

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Assuming you have another mac handy, you could always SSH into the iMac, then do sudo shutdown -h yymmddhhmm warning-message GO TO BED! or in place of yymmddhhmm, you could put now to do it immediately, or +(minutes) if you don't want to stay up. I'm pretty sure that would work just right. Then, you could even put that in a cron, and have it run when he usually stays up playing.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, I think on 10.2, that wouldn't shut down the system, but just log everyone out. But I just tried it on my parents iMac (no one was using it anyway ;)), which is now running 10.3, and it seems to have shut down completely.

13. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Are you referring to Energy Saver->Schedule or the "shutdown -h" command? If you are talking about the "shutdown -h" command, it behaves the same way regardless of which rev of OS X you are running; it's all FreeBSD underneath, and the "shutdown" command has been around since the beginning of time. As far as Energy Saver goes, I don't see how you would be saving energy by simply logging out users.