Automatic Upgrades with Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by longshot520, May 4, 2005.

1. longshot520 macrumors newbie

Just curious as a new Mac user, I bought an iMac a month ago (not knowing Tiger and the new models would be released within a month of me doing this) so I was wondering, do Apple offer anything like Microsoft did when they released XP i.e. offering free or discounted OS upgrades to people who bought a WinME PC within a month of the release of XP?

I cant seem to find anything about it on their site so I'm guessing they dont but I was wondering if any long time Mac users could confirm this?

Much Appreciated (and getting ready to save up for Tiger if the answer is what I think it will be.. :D)

2. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Apple has the Up-To-Date program where you can get Tiger for $9.95, but you would have need to have purchased your iMac on or after April 12th.

3. longshot520 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kerry. Just checked my receipt and I actually bought my iMac on April 1st! Oh well, I guess the joke is on me for not doing my homework before I bought it lol.

<starts saving the pennies for Tiger, iLife '05 and another 256mb of RAM)>

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

You've got nothing to lose my giving the up-to-date a shot - I did for a work Powerbook that I bought in *February* and the web form accepted its serial number! I got the Tiger Upgrade DVD last week (yes, that's right - it's an upgrader that will only install over Panther, not onto a formatted drive - some people on here have queried this but it's true).

5. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Actually, you would not have known it. I do not think they announced the Up-To-Date program until around mid-April or something like that, I believe.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sadly, these things always have limited windows of opportunity...everyone knew that Tiger was coming out imminently, but no one knew when it would come out exactly, and so even if you had been ferociously reading these forums, you might still have missed the boat. Especially if you're eligible for the edu discount, though, Tiger is very worthwhile. But either way, hope you enjoy your Mini! :)

7. longshot520 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, doesnt recognise my serial number. Oh well, as you say it was worth a try :)