Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longshot520

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
UK
Just curious as a new Mac user, I bought an iMac a month ago (not knowing Tiger and the new models would be released within a month of me doing this) so I was wondering, do Apple offer anything like Microsoft did when they released XP i.e. offering free or discounted OS upgrades to people who bought a WinME PC within a month of the release of XP?

I cant seem to find anything about it on their site so I'm guessing they dont but I was wondering if any long time Mac users could confirm this?

Much Appreciated (and getting ready to save up for Tiger if the answer is what I think it will be.. :D)

longshot520

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
UK
Thanks Kerry. Just checked my receipt and I actually bought my iMac on April 1st! Oh well, I guess the joke is on me for not doing my homework before I bought it lol.

<starts saving the pennies for Tiger, iLife '05 and another 256mb of RAM)>

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
longshot520 said:
Thanks Kerry. Just checked my receipt and I actually bought my iMac on April 1st! Oh well, I guess the joke is on me for not doing my homework before I bought it lol.

<starts saving the pennies for Tiger, iLife '05 and another 256mb of RAM)>

You've got nothing to lose my giving the up-to-date a shot - I did for a work Powerbook that I bought in *February* and the web form accepted its serial number! I got the Tiger Upgrade DVD last week (yes, that's right - it's an upgrader that will only install over Panther, not onto a formatted drive - some people on here have queried this but it's true).

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
longshot520 said:

Actually, you would not have known it. I do not think they announced the Up-To-Date program until around mid-April or something like that, I believe.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Kerry Sanders said:
Actually, you would not have known it. I do not think they announced the Up-To-Date program until around mid-April or something like that, I believe.

Sadly, these things always have limited windows of opportunity...everyone knew that Tiger was coming out imminently, but no one knew when it would come out exactly, and so even if you had been ferociously reading these forums, you might still have missed the boat. Especially if you're eligible for the edu discount, though, Tiger is very worthwhile. But either way, hope you enjoy your Mini! :)

longshot520

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
UK
drlunanerd said:
You've got nothing to lose my giving the up-to-date a shot - I did for a work Powerbook that I bought in *February* and the web form accepted its serial number! I got the Tiger Upgrade DVD last week (yes, that's right - it's an upgrader that will only install over Panther, not onto a formatted drive - some people on here have queried this but it's true).

Nope, doesnt recognise my serial number. Oh well, as you say it was worth a try :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.