automatically connected to shared music server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackc, Jul 5, 2005.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

All of my sharing options are turned off, but when I opened iTunes, all of a sudden I see a playlist called "Rusty's LimeWire Tunes." I've never used sharing or LimeWire before. If I click on it, I can play the tunes, and I have the option to disconnect from the shared music server.

I don't anything about how music sharing works, can someone explain how this happened?

2. croshtique macrumors 6502

LimeWire has an option whereby you can share your downloaded files on your LAN... sounds like you or someone on your LAN has this enabled (it can be turned off in LimeWire Preferences > iTunes > Sharing)

3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

This is most likely iTunes file sharing. Somebody has just added the Limewire tag as their share name. It is nothing to worry about. If you look through your iTunes preferences there is an option to 'look for shared music' just untick this if you want. Just because you can view and play his does not mean he can see any of your files, if you don't mind viewing and playing other people's music then just leave all as is.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, it's probably Limewire file sharing, because Limewire now has the option to stream music in a way that iTunes recognizes as an iTunes library, as noted above.

5. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Thanks, not having seen it before I was just worried someone was able to hijack my system or something.

6. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Well even if it is the advice I gave still holds true. Telling somebody else to turn off a feature on their computer because it effects you is not an option especially if you don't know who it belongs to.

Limewire or iTunes sharing nothing to worry about, just continue to use as normal and enjoy anything on their music collection as well (assuming it isn't password protected). If you don't want to see it then turn of the feature where iTunes looks for shared libraries on your machine.