Automatically Deleting Duplicate tracks?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by M. Malone, Oct 9, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

hey everyone...well I have my friend who has an iTunes Library of about 63,000+ songs, no joke seriously...

when he clicks on it to shows duplicates, there are about 25,000 duplicates, now is there a way to be able to get rid of this automatically without having to delete them one by one? and this is all on a Mac...thanks :)

2. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Doesn't "show duplicates" show both files (or more). So if you delete all you'll lose all the songs of that name/artist not just the duplicate?

Or am I talking rubbish?

4. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Ah, right. I forgot about that. I don't know what else to do than to manually select yourself then.

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Having to click 25,000 songs is the price you pay for piracy.

6. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I guess it's hard for iTunes to know which ones you might want deleted out of the duplicates. You might have the same track in single and album version, or maybe you ripped it twice in different formats...... you almost need a smart playlist type thing for duplicates so you could say show me the dulpicate that isn't AAC or something.

7. milo macrumors 604

:rolleyes:

Have him check out Doug's Scripts, there are a couple for handling duplicate files. At least iTunes seems to have finally fixed the bug where adding a file more than once made it show up multiple times in the iTunes library.

8. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

thank you for the helpful post, how did you know they're pirated? did you come over and look inside the library? for your information, every single track on that library is either ripped or purchased, and I mean every single one, so don't go off making assumptions like some moron :rolleyes:

9. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

thanks to everyone, I'll look into those scripts, but there must be a simpler way