Automatically mount a server at Login

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JimmyMac, Jul 15, 2002.

1. JimmyMac macrumors newbie

Real dumb question here folks.

Does anyone know how to set up OS X to automatically mount a server on my LAN automatically? I tried to put an alias of a mounted share in the startup items list, but of course that didn't work.

Do I have to write a script?

2. Draft macrumors 6502

Re: Automatically mount a server at Login

That would be the only way that I know of. AppleScript.

Draft

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Automatically mount a server at Login

One would think it would be that easy! (As well it should be, in my opinion.) But noooo. The only way I've been able to get it to work is via Apple Script, like Draft said. I understand how it can be a security risk to automatically login, but still, I think they should give us that choice don't you?

4. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: Re: Automatically mount a server at Login

I would say it is more likely that they just have not implimented it into the OS yet. Maybe 10.2?????

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It was the same story in OS 9 as well. I had to find a prefab Apple Script that automatically unlocks your keychain at startup so the finder could have access to it without bothering me every time.

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

RE: JimmyMac

When you say auto mount the remote drive, are you including the login? I think you can have it auto mount but you will be promted for your log and pass to the remote server unless there is a way for OS X to make a sared non-password non-login drive or directory. I know In OS 9, AppleTalk attemps to log you into remote drives. Possibly you can set the permisions on the drive/directory very loosly like a chmod 777 /YourSharedDisk. I know I could do it with nfsmount with Solaris. But then again... I would just make it a world sharable drive and then write a one line shell script to mount it at boot time on the client.

Post #800!

-evildead