Automatically remove silence from songs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by projectle, Aug 6, 2006.

1. projectle macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    I have a very large music collection that I have copied into iTunes (1047 CDs), many of which have small bits of silence at the begining and then end that I would like to remove.

Given the very large number of tracks that I am dealing with, I would perfer an automated system that would get rid of them.

I found AudioSlicer, but that only works with MP3s, and my collection is in M4A (the default iTunes format).

Is there any tool avaliable that will scan any songs I feed it and remove silence at the beginings and ends of songs?

Thank you in advance.
  2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2006
    "To adjust the length of time iTunes puts between songs, go to the iTunes menu and choose Preferences. Click Advanced, and then click the Burning icon. Choose the amount of time you want between songs from the Gap Between Songs dropdown menu. You can choose between zero and five seconds "
  3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005

I don't think that's what he/she means. I think that he/she wants to remove parts already on the track. Not what iTunes puts in added.

I don't know any programs that will do that.
  4. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    Exactly, I would like to remove what is already there.
  5. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    Also, it does not matter if it is for the Mac. It would be Windows or Linux as I have both of those set up in my network.
  6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I know of a Windows program that can remove silence automatically. However, it only supports uncompressed PCM WAV files. Generating these from iTunes music is easy enough - just convert them to WAV then run them through this program. The downside of doing this is the inevitable quality loss when you re-encode, though.

Silence Remover
  7. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    At that point I could use iTunes to convert all the M4As to MP3s 320Kbps, run through Audio Slicer, then convert back into M4A 192kbps'es. Plus, then I can keep my ID3 tags.
  8. jnagel macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2006
    IMO, getting rid of the few seconds of silence on tracks doesn't justify the loss of quality you are going to experience by going lossy format to lossy format as you outlined above.

unless you have less of an ear for quality, you're probably going to regret it when you're done
  9. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestion...

I was just thinking that 63.4 GB of compressed stuff will take up a whole lot more if I go to wav (probably on the order of 600-700 GB.
  10. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Jul 24, 2006
    Hollywood, CA
    Maybe turn on crossfading in iTunes and set it to a couple secs? That wouldn't solve the problem perfectly but it would mask it a little.
  11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    beatunes can do this sort of thing. Rather than physically truncate the files, it can automagically set the start and stop times in the metadata.