Automating Installing Certificates

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by IntrinsicMac, Jul 17, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to automate the following steps to install some certficates so the members of a medical school class can access a resource on their Mac without getting bogged down in the instructions. (aka for clueless people who so far cant figure out how to follow these instructions)

I was using the package manager to move the files to the right location, but am clueless on how to automate the actual certif install.

thanks!

2. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Sorry, but that is exactly the stuff that should never, ever be automated. You are trying to install root certificates. These root certificates determine what web sites will be trusted when using https. That is about the most dangerous thing to install.

3. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know what you're saying, but there should be a way of deploying root certs without the need for manual intervention on workstations. Root certs can be deployed to clients with Group Policy in the Windows world for example. It would be a nightmare doing each one individually.

4. macrumors 603

Cromulent

You might be able to do something similar using the UNIX equivalent tools such as Kerberous although I am by no means an expert on the subject. Maybe LDAP even? Although from recollection that is more a directory service than anything else.