Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shazammy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
I am having a problem with Mac OS X (10.3.9) and was wondering if anyone here could help. I have a Server that I log in to as a guest, although from time to time I need to login as a registered user so I can drop files in so they can be seen by other users. It's a long story, but we're using a Filemaker database server on that volume, so it has to be done that way. Blah blah blah, long story short, we can't change the way that's set up. So, here is my question.

Normally I log in as a guest by double clicking the server, logging in as a guest, and mounting the one volume (out of three - the volume is always the same). When I have to add files to the server/volume, I drop them into the Drop Box on the volume.

However, occasionally I have to log out as a guest (I do this by ejecting/unmounting the volume) and log back in as a registered user. I do this by double clicking the server, logging in as a user with my password, and then mounting the one volume. I then put the files in the Drop Box into their appropriate destination folders. I then log out, and log back in as a guest.

I need to try and find a way to make this a bit faster. Currently, it takes awhile to log out, log back in, and then repeat the process. If I store a link to the volume as an alias, it only logs me back in using the same way I last logged in. I tried creating separate aliases (one for guest, one for user), but that didn't work either. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thanks,

Kevin

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I'm guessing that this is a permissions thing, where you have to load it up as a guest to give the file guest permissions, then come in as the registered user to put the file in the correct place. Maybe you should just use the registered user and change the file permissions after uploading it to the server to the correct permissions so others can use the same FileMaker file. Again, I'm just guessing at what your problem is.

shazammy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
varmit said:
I'm guessing that this is a permissions thing, where you have to load it up as a guest to give the file guest permissions, then come in as the registered user to put the file in the correct place. Maybe you should just use the registered user and change the file permissions after uploading it to the server to the correct permissions so others can use the same FileMaker file. Again, I'm just guessing at what your problem is.

I think that's exactly right. I'll see if there is a way to make that happen a bit easier, although I'm not sure there will be.

shazammy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
James Philp said:
In tiger there's a recent server list under the recent files list in the apple menu. This speeds things up.

Yes, although I believe this will log you in based on your last login, it won't ask for new information. Am I wrong? Hopefully so, if someone could let me know, I haven't upgraded to Tiger just yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.