Automator Camera Photo Import?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

How can i create a workflow that names photos and creates an album when i plug in my camera?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do you want an automatic Album name created or do you want to be prompted to name the album? As well as the name of the pictures?

EDIT: Here ya go.
    App: Action
    Image Capture: Download Pictures
    Finder: Rename Finder Items
    iPhoto: Import Photos into iPhoto

Now to be prompted to rename the files (and the album) you must select the little triangle in the bottom of each Action and select "Show Action When Run". Since Image Capture is downloading the pictures you will have copies of the pics in your picture folder (outside of your iPhoto library) and therefore at the bottom of the Import Photos into iPhoto action you want to select "Delete the Source item after importing them". This will make sure that only your iPhoto library has the only copy of the picture in it (avoids duplicate pictures).

EDIT 2: Save this workflow as an application wherever on your HD (docs folder probably), and go to the Image Capture program (apps folder) and in preferences>General make this Automator application open when a Camera is plugged in.

And if you want iPhoto to quit after it has finished importing then add at the end of the workflow:
    Action is: Run Applescript
    tell application "iPhoto"
    quit
    end tell

And you'll be all set!