Automator & cropping images

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by weldon, Dec 31, 2005.

1. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I have a folder of screenshots and I want to crop out a particular section of each of the images. Since the location is the same each time, I thought this would be a great task for Automator. Unfortunately, the built-in crop action only allows for the cropped section to be centered. I want to select the exact dimensions and x,y location for the cropped selection.

I suppose I could do this with Photoshop actions, but I don't have Photoshop. Does anyone know of a solution that would work? Maybe there is a shareware image app that has a fully scriptable crop function?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok I gotcha on this one.
    The program to use is: GraphicConverter (www.versiontracker.com).

Great program. Now how to convert a whole folder.
    Go to the File>BrowseFolder
    Select the folder you are looking to crop the pictures from.
    In the top right, there is a pull down that says No Batch. Select that and hit "Define Batch" you will then find in the window produced a Crop option.
    Hopefully from there you will know what to do.
    Cheers.

3. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

Cool! I found a "crop region" action in the batch processing settings that lets you set the four corners of the area to be cropped in each image. That will work perfectly!

4. stickydick macrumors newbie

Dummy

Listen. I can usually figure things out, but can you tell me how you did this? Feel like a big dummy. I chose define batch, then played with the dimensions (I only need to trim the top 10% off each image) but can not get it to do anything. There seems to be very little support with this app and no information under 'help.' Any help from anyone would be most appreciated!

Looks like a good app - I am using the trial mode and if this works, would probably buy it. Not if I can't figure it out though!

Thanks,

SD

5. stickydick macrumors newbie

Done.

OK, after an hour or so of playing (god I'm pathetic) I figured it out. Now if only I could figure out how to sit on a toilet the right way...

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Now that's something I know a thing or two about.
    Regarding GraphicConverter, yeah it isn't exactly intuitive but it does have a gazillion options for image manipulation. Jeez, this was one of my first posts on these boards.