Automator Help: Finder plugin lost.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by RumMunkey, Feb 8, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2006
    Hey all, I just wrote my first Automator action. I'm going to use it to make a copy of my iWeb website file from my flash disk to a local folder then eject the flash drive.

It seems to work really well, so I saved it as an application. Cool, I can put it in the dock and run it from there, but then I thought there's gotta be a way to run it with a key combination or from a button or right-click from Finder (or even better from within iWeb).

So I saved it as a Finder Plugin.

But know I don't know where that plugin went. It's not in Finder anywhere, under any of the menus, on my right-click context menu... I don't think "save as Finder Plugin" does what I thought it does.

What does it do, and where did my plugin go?

Also, where can I save my action that I can get to it faster? Can I create a scripts menu in iWeb and run it from there?
  2. Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    The plugins appear here

Picture 4.png

And is stored here

You can give it a keyboard shortcut like in the picture above by going to

System Preferences - Keyboard & Mouse- Keyboard Shortcuts - +

Application = All Applications
    Menu Title = Your exact workflow name, i.e. for m example "Rename" without the quotes
    Keyboard Shortcut = whatever you want just make sure it is unique.

Or you could look into Do Something When (if that is still going)
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks! I may give that a try. Though while I was waiting, I did find the Computer Scripts folder and tucked it in there. That seems like an easy way to access it from iWeb (since I don't need to click out of the app, I can just mouse up to the menu bar).

I do like the idea of a key-combo though. How can I ensure what I choose is unique? Will it warn me if I pick something that's being used elsewhere?
  4. macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2008
    ShortCut Problems

I tried creating a shortcut like was explained but wasn't able to get it to work? I have created and saved a plugin for finder in Automator - and it works great - but the shorcut I tried to create in system prefs isn't seeming to do anything. Thoughts?
  5. macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2006
    Is there a way to move it to the initial shortcut menu instead of having to navigate to More, Automator, Click?