Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Wow so I just got about 20 pics from a client that need to be cropped, scaled and thumb-nailed so I figured I'd give automator a shot.

WOW, got everything done in 5 minutes. Even quickly rotated the half dozen or so pics that needed it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Nice to read some pro-Automater comment here for a change.

A few people around here are being a bit pissy about it... this is one thing I'm genuinely interested in, having never been 100% motivated about AppleScript yet being convinced of its usefulness particularly for work.

Recent experiments with Cronnix & simple scripting has convinced me of its general fabulosity, albeit ably assisted by the venerable robbieduncan.

Just got my email tonight: Tiger despatched from Amazon UK, will have a play this weekend. :)

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
can u help?

I was playing with automater and was very impressed. But I had some trouble figuring it out.

When you're applying actions how do you tell it to apple them to EVERY file and subfolder and EVERY file of the subfolders and so on? For me it would only apply my actions to the top folder. I know i'm just doing it wrong but I'd appreciate the help, since you seem to have the hang of it and well... I do not :cool:

I do think it has infinite potential however - well, once I learn how to use it properly that is...

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Blue Velvet said:
edit...fabulosity...

What a great word!

Have fun with Tiger. I did an archive and install on my PB Monday night, and it is running quite snappy. Haven't been getting too much work done, and damn little sleep. :p Had to re-install Stuffit Expander and Palm Desktop, but haven't run into any other snags at all.

Haven't gotten into Automator at all yet. Even the thought of using Applescript always intimidated me, since I don't know jack about programming. Automator looks user friendly enough that I'll give it a try.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
yea automator rocks. it has a few shortcomings and i did find one bug already which i have reported to apple. only other bug i have found thus far is that iChat kicks off any AIM account when you sign on in another location using the same name. also reported to apple with detailed description of what should happen and so on. it's being "Verified" right now. hopefully fixed in 10.4.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.