Automator: Periodically Take Pictures With USB-Connected Digital Still Camera?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BurtonCCC, Feb 24, 2006.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I remember back when Tiger was first being annouced I read something (I thought from Apple" on Automator being able to do things like turn a camera connected to your computer into a "surveillance camera." I'm not looking to catch theives, but I am looking for this function. I'm recording my CD and I wanted to get some "studio pictures," but I obviously can't take pictures while I'm playing and I record alone, so I want to connect my Canon PowerShot to my computer (I have an iSight too, but I want good quality pictures) and tell Automator to take a picture every minute.

I have faith in OS X being as amazing as I think it is and being able to do this, but I've never, ever used Automator and I wanted the help of some Automator buffs. I'm not looking for a Workflow to download unless that's the only option, I kinda want to make it myself so I can get familiar with the program. Thanks so much!

Daniel.

2. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

So... I'm an idiot. "Image Capture" seems like a pretty self-explanatory name. I'll be back if I run into questions.

Dan.

3. HughJ macrumors regular

i believe a bit of software called EvoCam will do this

4. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Anybody know how to make this work? When I switch the camera to the setting I use to view photos, it recognizes it and says it can take pictures, but then when I switch it to the picture taking mode, it stops recognizing it. It's a Canon PowerShot A510.

Dan.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have the Canon PowerShot S45, and I''ve found that the camera has two modes, one for capturing images, and one for viewing images that are mutually exclusive. I can only imagine that your model is the same way. I recently got a Rebel XT, and the On mode works for taking shots and downloading viewing them/loading them onto my computer. However, I have not tried to do both at the same time.

6. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Yeah, I have a shooting mode and viewing mode. Does that mean that my camera won't work? I tried EvoCam and that doesn't recognize the camera when it's in shooting mode either.

Dan.