Automator - Script for Ejecting all USB Devices

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by pyles, Apr 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a belkin USB Hub that I use to plug in my External HDD's, iPod, printers, USB thumbdrive, etc.

I was wondering (as I am just beginning, made my first Automator script last night), if I could use Automator to eject all of these things for me, so that when I want to take my Macbook I can just run that script and everything ejects.

I have it setup so that it will eject my 3 External HDD's, but when I have my iPod plugged in and I Use the default iPod Eject built into automator it says no iPod is connected (but one is because I see it in iTunes, etc).

So I am wondering, how do I actually get my iPod to eject, and is there a way to get it so that any external HDD's/Printers/Thumb drives I plug in, will automatically eject?

Thanks!

2. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is your iPod an iPod Touch? It seems as if that automator action can't do them (or at least my iPhone)

Change the automator action to a simple "Run applescript" and then enter this into it

Seems to work on my machine.

3. macrumors 6502a

Slip

On the note of the iPod, which model is it? For the Touch you don't have to eject it before removing it from the dock; that's the only thing I can think of in regards to why Automator says there's no iPod connected. Sorry for the limited help ;)
    EDIT: Beat me to it ^

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks sorry it is a 2nd gen iPod Nano 4gb (green to be exact ;)) Haha. I will try the above. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Thank you so much! Works perfectly and gets the ipod as well!

5. macrumors 6502a

Slip

Glad to see it's sorted :)