Automator

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markeus, Jan 15, 2007.

1. markeus macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if anyone has used automator to actually do anything useful? if so what kinds of things.. it seems like a powerful program but I don't know what kinds of conventional uses it has??

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think I did a thread on this once before too.... I've used it for making folder actions and for making contextual menu plugins. Like I added "Send to my RAZR" and "Send to my Axim" (via bluetooth) items in my Finder contextual menus. :)

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You mind telling me what you have sent to your RAZR? I was preparing to use Automator (or more likely Applescript) to text message myself via Skype who new emails are from. Do you happen to do anything like that.

Oh and Automator is great, and is not too tough to figure out. I'd start with a simple task like making all .zip files in your download folder to be moved to the trash. I'll help you with that one if you can't figure it out.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sure. :)

RAZR: mostly just ringtones and wallpaper. :)

E-mails: Your SMS has an email associated with it, right? Like I think mine is xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net -- Can't you just create a rule in your mail program to forward them as SMS or something? Mmm, but then I guess you don't want it to end up being a 3-page SMS....

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Good idea, I forwarded a text message to my email and got my phone's email address. So I will experiment with this. Yeah I would like to just get who the email is from, or the subject title. I don't need the entire message.