Automount a remote drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MmmPancakes, Aug 14, 2006.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

At my office we use a shared drive. I'm getting a bit tired of manually connecting to the drive everytime my OSX 10.4.7 starts up.

I tried to set up an auto-mount by doing system-prefs -> accounts -> login items and dragging the alias to the startup list, but that hasn't worked (the drive isn't mounted when I reboot). Any idea of a good way to auto-mount this drive so that it's always accessible on ym desktop and I don't have to keep logging into it? Thanks in advance.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Hmmm...I have our shared drive set up to auto-mount when I boot up via the accounts settings and it works fine. (I just checked to make sure.) Do you have the password and login name stored in your keychain? Could that be the problem?

3. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

It shows up in my keychain manager. But strangely, whenever I do go->connect to server, it still asks me for login information also.

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Try an AppleScript.

tell application "Finder"
    mount volume "smb://WORKGROUP;username:password@COMPUTERNAME/Share"
    end tell

where:
    WORKGROUP=the name of the workgroup your PC is in
    username=the name you use to login to Windows (you can always make a new one in control panel>user accounts)
    password=create this as well along with the username
    COMPUTERNAME=the name of the computer in the workgroup (can be found in control panel>system
    Share=the name of the share you are sharing

Save as an application.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

This is easily my least favorite part about OS X. My workaround is I created an alias to each mounted network share (I have a number of them that i need to connect to). Then I created an automater script that opened each alias and saved the workflow as an application. Then I copied it to my dock, so now I just click on the little robot and it reconnects me to all of my shares.

Let's hope Leopard has "Reconnect at login" and persistant drive mapping...;)

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I made the apple script mentioned above only changed it to work for my mac file server.

It works great, only problem is it still pops up the dialogue asking for user name and password. I have the user name and password saved in my keychain so is there some way I can automate that step as well?