Automount a remote FTP server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mfacey, Jun 2, 2006.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I've been trying to get OSX to automount my ftp server that comes with my hosting package. I have no problems logging into it by means of the Go menu in Finder and then using "connect to server". Works great.

I tried adding it to the login items. This initially looks like it'll work. It lists it as a volume. Then when I actually log into OSX nothing mounts. I got back to the login items menu and it lists it as an "Unknown" kind of item. I don't get it. What am I doing wrong?

The type of server is a, so nothing special.

Any ideas as to why this isn't working?

Edit: Ok, another issue. I can't actually modify anything in Finder connecting via the Go menu. Am I stuck to using my current FTP client? Windows allows ftp access through explorer. Are we missing out here?
  2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    OS X can mount FTP servers as a read-only drive. It's one of our many quips with OS X and Apple doesn't seem to care. You'll need to use a 3rd party FTP client for full-access such as Transmit or Cyberduck.

As far as mounting it in the finder, you could write a shell script to mount the network volume and list that as a log-in item.