Automounting Disk Images -- safe again?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IJ Reilly, Apr 10, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

About a year ago I guess it was, because of a security concern, a lot of us set our Safari preferences to disallow the ability of downloaded disk images to automount on the desktop and other files to execute automatically. Now I'd like to turn this feature on again -- but is it safe to do so? Have OS/Safari updates since that time closed the vulnerability?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, I can't point to a specific update, but I seem to remember it was patched quickly enough that I didn't bother disabling it. More to the point, how many threads have you ever seen about people being hit with this? :)

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

None, but it was considered to be a significant threat when it was discovered, and the best advice at the time was to disable the auto-run/auto-mount feature. I'll bet a lot of people (like me) turned it off and never changed the setting back to the default.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I did not and, except you, I know of no one else who did. Suffice it to say, you should be OK if you restore disk image automounting.

5. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

LOL!!! That was classic... :)

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, you're easily amused. :rolleyes:

This was called a serious vulnerability when it was identified. The fact that it wasn't exploited by anyone before it was patched changes nothing.