Automounting remote volumns

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SMM, Oct 1, 2006.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have no problem connecting and manually mounting shares on other Mac's, or Windows machines. However, I have to manually mount them after each boot. I have looked for an option to automatically mount them, but have not found it. Do I have to make an entry in vfstab or something similar? Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You should be able to automount them by adding the AFP addresses to your Login Items.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The simplest way to do so is to manually mount the drive, then open System Preferences...->Accounts->[your account]->Login items, then drag the disk icon from your desktop onto the Login Items list.

Cake.

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

jsw - wild cowboy

Yes, that did the trick nicely! I do appreciate your taking time to help. I was looking in all the wrong places - still being de-windowized.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

makes you wonder why Windows doesn't work that way, doesn't it? :)

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, in all fairness, lots of "easy" OS X tricks are easy only once you know them and aren't particularly easy to figure out on your own.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

that's true. Though I'm working toward my MCSE, so I'm spending a lot of time with Windows, and I'm just amazed at how unnecessarily complicated (and downright un-intuitive) it is.

here's a potential poll question:
    how does Windows compare to OSX in terms of the "learning curve?" Is OSX easier or more difficult to figure out than XP?

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My parents seem equally adept (or inept) at both, and so I'd guess that they're about equally easy (or hard) to learn - at least to get to the point of knowing what you need to know for day-to-day "normal" usage.