Autopsy 2006 -- what the Dems did right, what the GOP did wrong

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The Democrats have finally retaken the House (and possibly the Senate), and I don't think a lot of the TV pundits are giving them credit where credit is due.

First, I think a big amount goes to Howard Dean, who got the party organized for the first time in quite a while. Seems his 50-state strategy is working. I know Rahm Emanuel (sp?) doesn't agree with the way Dean is doing it, but you can't argue with the results.

Because I think dissatisfaction with Bush and the Republicans helped the Democrats win, but I think the win would've been a lot more marginal if Democrats hadn't chosen the right candidates, identified trends and acted upon them, spread the money around to a lot of different states, and finally, turned out the voters. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than what we're used to. And Dean did that.

As for the GOP: talk about the economy, corruption or the war all you want. Everything falls under the same general heading: they just got too goddamned cocky. They stopped listening to the people, and listened only to the fringe cuckoos in their own party.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think we'll find that many of the "democrats" elected to the house are actually pretty darn conservative.

despite the takeover, the gradual shift to the right continues, imo.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I agree, but at least the Congress will cease to be a partisan blank cheque for Bush. And the GOP corruption machine has been knocked out of service for a little while.

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i don't think this election had anything to do with what the democratic party did right, and had everything to do with what the GOP did wrong. they've acted like arses for six years, and it's finally caught up to them.

the majority in the house will be too small to wield, and the senate was never really in the president's pocket anyway. if the democrats intend to seize on the growing distaste for rove-style republicanism, they've still got a lot of work to do. changing the tone of politics with a balanced and thoughtful presidential ticket in '08 is the first step; steering the discourse away from fear and one-liners, then fielding senate candidates who fit the mold.

the new democratic party will and should take it's cues from barrak obama, and would do well to learn from bernie sanders and ralph nader while they're at it.

finally, there's no more bully to blame; the democrats must deliver in the house, or they will be right back where they started. don't think that the GOP is going to stop attacking just because they're a minority now.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It's looking like the Dems will hold a pretty big majority in the house.Big enough to change things..

This wasnt about democrats winning.It was about Bush.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I just heard George Stephanopoulos tell Charles Gibson on ABC News, that he expects to see a lot of oversite hearings being held to hold the admistration accountable for their blunders in Iraq.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yer so cynical. :p

But, well, yeah... :eek:

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I'd have to agree. The 2000 general wasn't about Bush winning, it was about Clinton.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And that, if anything does, is what could lead to impeachment hearings. If what the Democrats find is damning enough and reaches high enough, it'll get the voters even angrier than they already are. It'd be like when all that evidence came out, day after day, about how Nixon was involved in Watergate after all. The dawning realization by the people that their president was a crook was what forced Nixon to quit or face impeachment.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I think a lot of people should realize that the Dems taking control doesn't mean prediential impeachment, the United States turning into a state of bliss, gay marriage being legalized or any number of things.

The Dems haven't and still don't have solid leadership or a platform.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I agree its largely GOP's inability to govern for the American as a Whole.
    They move to the extreme right wing and play tricks in election, I think they really treat American majority people as stupid and can be manipulated.

GOP is now so extreme, they abandoned all Goldwater principles, now they have totally no discipline, no idea, it would not take long for them to transform into a bible party if they don't change their strategy.

12. Greebazoid macrumors regular

I aint American - so you can ignore this post if you like - but as a gay liberal I have to say, I'm delighted in your election results.

Hopefully, your politicians will stop pandering to the religious right - Even small steps to the left are better than large steps to the right.

(ps if you care - today is the day our government here in South Africa votes how to implement same sex marriage)

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just as well that decision's not in the hands of Jacob Zuma: What would he make of it?

14. Greebazoid macrumors regular

Actually, believe it or not he publicly supports the amendment - he was severely stung by his anti-gay comments. Although, he has far bigger fish to fry at this point - his financial advisers corruption appeal was rejected and the police are (its believed) sharpening their pencils to move against him.

15. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

It seems to me what the dems did right was nominate more conservative people, especially in southern and more conservative states. I agree that the republicans did get cocky. They had been in power for so long they just took it for granted. The dems had a good plan and it worked.

16. Queso macrumors G4

I hope it goes through. South Africa is years ahead of a lot of countries with regards to gay rights. It put the UK to shame for many years.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Here we go folks....

Quack, quack, quack, limp, limp, limp...

[​IMG]

And Cheney is the VP - we all know what happens when you put Cheney and a duck together...

We Aussies are very happy down here.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

seriously. how is harold ford jr, a dem in TN, more to the left than michael steele, a rep in MD?

that is exactly why the amendment votes are what scare me more than anything... the people of the country aren't moving left, they're just moving away from the people screwing things up

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

surely not *all* of you... your pm for instance? hah

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well yeah, but we couldn't care less about him.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

want to borrow my flame retardant suit? ;)

so i take it he'll be booted next time you get the chance? let's hope so!

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not likely, the opposition don't have a strong leader, LJH may be many things but he leads with authority - until Labor can come up with someone willing to really take the fight to LJH they're not going to win an election. Too much factional in-fighting and mud-slinging, not enough hard questions being asked of the Liberals.

Beasley's not bad but he just doesn't strike me as having the balls to really lead his party to victory. He's already had a couple of cracks at it and failed.

We're happy that Bush is crippled by the results in the US but when our elections come around next year (I think) we'll go for the party with the strongest leader - at the moment that's the Liberals and LJH.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think that's a pretty fair observation. I'd say the single most answer to "what the Dems did right" is that they were relatively focused on Turning the Iraq War Into An Ally. Whether one would call any swing a "right or left" move, it's been about moving away from incompetence. And we've seen too much of that particularly in U.S. foreign policy.

24. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

What? A platypus?

25. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

thanks. us greens take care of each other. nader/sanders in '08!