"#%&/%"#/& autosave, how disable or to undo save?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by poobear, Dec 11, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

poobear

Lion 10.7.2, all default settings.

A friend just played around with a very important document in Preview.app, draws some red boxes and then closes the file. He expected a "Do you want to save?" dialog that he would say no to, but no everything is autosaved nowadays...

Re-opening the file does not give any undo-option. Local time-machine seems to be off by default, because I don't see any option to go into Time Machine-mode.

* Is not not possible to disable this autosave?!??
    * Is previous versions of autosaved files saved anywhere on the system?

* Is the ONLY solution to this problem to activate local time machine in the future?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68030

vitzr

Welcome to another example of Apples desire to control your life :)

I'll stick with Snow Leopard, it continues to be my favorite.

As to your issue, I wish you well. Perhaps someone has a patch for that.

3. waynep, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

macrumors 6502

I just tried this to see what happens. Try this . .

Re-open the doc in Preview.app. Look at the top, where the filename is, and click on the filename. Mine drops down a menu that had an option to browse all versions. Click that and I get a Time Machine sort of like interface where I can go back in time and get a previous version. I tried it on the Mac users guide, by highlighting something then restoring a previous version.

wayne

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

poobear

Thanks!!

This worked perfectly.

However, if I go into System Preferences > Time Machine, it is set to off? What do I turn on in the System Preferences if local Time Machine already seems to be activated?

5. macrumors 6502

I guess I don't understand the question. Time Machine is turned off? As far as I know that has nothing to do with versions. What do you want to turn on?

Or do you still want to disable the versioning? That I don't know how to do . . I actually like it.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

poobear

Sorry, I didn't know much about Versions. Thought it was just a Time Machine feature.

7. macrumors 6502

I think they are separate features. Now that you know how to go back to a previous version do you still dis-like it?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

poobear

Personally I don't dislike it anymore. However, left-clicking on the name in the title bar is by no mean intuitive. I could ask here, but there must be a way to do it that my mother would find by her own.

9. macrumors 604

Haven't run into the versions shenanigan yet, but this thread gives good info on how to deal with it. I also hate the "locked" files game where if you don't touch a file for months then want to edit it, it warns you about lock..bah.

10. macrumors 65816

Partron22

Mothers find the "ask your son" feature quite intuitive. ;)

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

poobear

Although that you can disable in System Preferences > Time Machine > Options > Lock documents

True :D Ok I restate, there should be a way that a tech-savvy son can find without going to a forum. Why is there no "Browse earlier versions" when I right-click the file? Would be much more intuitive.