Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddart

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Would this work with the Apple branded 30 pin to 8 pin $30 converter?

I have this:
http://www.sunnybuying.com/aux-cabl...rce=googleps&gclid=CKT-4b7AqLoCFek7Mgod4gMAAg

but it's extremely difficult to plug and unplug, I mean it takes lots of force.
The charger charges it slow I think (I only had the phone few days)

These are a way of bypassing the need for a D/A converter. so essentially it is the same as a headphone to Aux in cable, without the extra cable. It will be sonically the same as a headphone out cable, but with less cable mess (the only advantage). It has a big adapter piece, blocking the phone mic and speaker.

I saw these, but did not get one due to the above mentioned negatives.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I use the old 30 pin composite AV cable from Apple, connected to the Lightning to 30 pin adapter, and a Y adapter from the RCA left and right audio into a 1/8" jack for my aux in. I ran all of this under the console, and wired a USB charger as well, so one cable from my dash charges and play audio from the lightning port.

I had all of this in a drawer, so I didn't buy any of it for this reason, it just works this way for me, for what I had lying around.

Apple_composite_av_cable_zoom__18265_zoom.jpg
c215_012p2.gif
14213689_120913174442.jpg

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I have been using the Belkin BT device for about a week.

Overall impression: good. Music audio quality is good enough for me, but I don't have high standards or a top notch stereo. I mostly listen to podcasts anyways.

There are some nice features with the button of this device.
If unconnected, press once to connect to iPhone.
If connected, press once to start/stop playing audio.
Press twice to go to next song, three times to go back.

My issue so far is that I can't find a volume setting that makes both playing audio as well as using as a hands-free set sound good.

The best setting for audio is to set the audio volume on each app to about 60%, and then adjust the car stereo volume from there.
However, at this setting, phone call volume is WAY too high.

If I adjust the car stereo to a good phone call volume level, I need to crank up the auio apps volume to 100% to be on the same level of volume. That, however, leads to distorted audio.

I wish there was an iOS setting to adjust BT phone call volumes.

-t

----------

Would this work with the Apple branded 30 pin to 8 pin $30 converter?

I have this:
http://www.sunnybuying.com/aux-cabl...rce=googleps&gclid=CKT-4b7AqLoCFek7Mgod4gMAAg

but it's extremely difficult to plug and unplug, I mean it takes lots of force.
The charger charges it slow I think (I only had the phone few days)

Doesn't work with any protective cases.

-t

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I have had the Belkin for a few weeks also.

I don't have the issue with call volume but I use my car's bluetooth for calls and don't get that many anyway.

I like the volume a little higher, like 75% to 80% which seems to match what the line in would provide.
Problem with that is that you will be diving for the volume if you switch to regular radio.
I don't blame Belkin for that, probably standard on all BT devices.

I actually like audio quality.

My only issues is random, quick drop outs. Not sure if it is the Belkin is at fault but it shouldn't happen when the phone is literally, inches away.

I still might take it back and get the Kinivo. I wish there were more comparisons.
If the iPhone supported Apt-X, it would be a no brainer.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Here is some info:

I have iPhone 5S
purchased Apple branded ($30) lightning to 30 pin connector as well as something similar to this http://www.iaminthestore.com/media/...G_3GS_iPod_Cell_Phone_MP3_amp_MP4CES12582.jpg

My factory radio has an add on to give me aux headphone jack and aux 30pin.
I never used the 30pin as it's a pita, sort of a hack to browse song lists, etc.
I simply use the headphone jack, and navigate the songs via the phone. I usually stream online radio anyways.

So I can confirm that the 8-30 pin Apple connector in conjunction with the above cable works.
The USB port does work with my charger and charges phone fine.
(no errors)

ajalro

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
My only issue is that I get dropouts from time to time. It may have more to do with the bluetooth connection in my car (it is a 2008, supports phone but not music).
I'll need to try disconnecting that to see if it helps the issue.
I'd rather have the car bluetooth for phone calls because it displays the caller, of course.
I'm in the same situation: I have a bluetooth system integrated in my auto-radio (which have only aux cable input, not usb cable) enabled only to stream iphone calls, not music stream from iphone via bluetooth.
So now switching from iphone 4/4s to 5/5s/5c do you confirm me that in this situation the better solution is to continue to use the cable of post #1 with this adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45 ?
a cable similar to the one in post #1 having lightning instead of 30pin does not exist yet, right?

ajalro

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
@ users of Belkin/Kinivo:

I have a car with bluetooth system that supports only streaming of phone calls; and I have an aux input.
When I get in the car my iphone paires automatically with bluetooth system and I can make or receive phone calls speaking handsfree and hearing from speakers of my car. But to hear music from iphone I need an aux cable.

So, if I buy Belkin/Kinivo, when I get in my car, my iphone will paires automatically and simultaneously with both bluetooth systems? one of my audio car and one of Belkin/Kinivo? And I can stream the music to Kinivo and when I receive a phone calls it will be directed to bluetooth system car?

Does it work in this way?

@ users of this type of cable http://www.sunnybuying.com/aux-cabl...rce=googleps&gclid=CKT-4b7AqLoCFek7Mgod4gMAAg
when connected to iphone 5, it has no problem or does it give back the message "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone"?

Thank you

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
ajaro
I replied to your PM.

I have used that cable and here are my thoughts:

- slow to charge iphone 5S
- difficult IE takes lots of force to plug and disconnect
- no errors (not certified)

My car has bluetooth sync to the phone (it's the previous generation where the phonebook is not passed through).
What's annoying is that for some reason it sounds like google maps and apple maps directions are pushed through BT and not regularly via audio cable.
It's annoying as you hear some static at first and end or things are cut out...
That's on a 2005-2007 Dodge REC navigation radio.

ajalro

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
- difficult IE takes lots of force to plug and disconnect
- no errors (not certified)
very thanks, adam!
what do you mean with IE?
so, the cable is not apple certified but despite of this, it doesn't give the error message usual of other non certified cables "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone"?

What's annoying is that for some reason it sounds like google maps and apple maps directions are pushed through BT and not regularly via audio cable.
It's annoying as you hear some static at first and end or things are cut out...
I'm sorry adam, but I don't understand very well, could you please explain to me better? thank you

I have a car with bluetooth system that supports only streaming of phone calls; and I have an aux input.
When I get in the car my iphone paires automatically with bluetooth system and I can make or receive phone calls speaking handsfree and hearing from speakers of my car. But to hear music from iphone I need an aux cable.
So, if I buy Belkin/Kinivo, when I get in my car, my iphone will paires automatically and simultaneously with both bluetooth systems? one of my audio car and one of Belkin/Kinivo? And I can stream the music to Kinivo and when I receive a phone calls it will be directed to bluetooth system car?
no one...?

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Basically it's annoyance with my radio how the maps on the phone connect to the radio.

The cable you sent a link to works but it is very difficult to connect and disconnect. I would only use it as a temporary solution until you find something better.

My current setup works good. Easy connection to the phone - 8 pin only.

Good luck.

ajalro

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
It's so strange...
I used a cable similar to this one
http://www.iaminthestore.com/media/...G_3GS_iPod_Cell_Phone_MP3_amp_MP4CES12582.jpg
with my iphone4 without any problem, now I bought this adapter
http://www.active-software.com/itproducts/story$dirname=&index=default&num=813&sec=0
(yes I'm italian) it's not the original apple
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45
but it should have the same features (Supports analog audio output, USB audio as well as syncing and charging. Video output is not supported)
Despite of this, when I connect all cables and adapters and I play music on iphone, the music come out from speakers of iphone...
will it depends on the fact that the adapter is not apple original?
your adapter is apple original?

Concerning this point

I tried pairing my iphone simultaneously with my audiocar bluetooth system and with a bluetooth earphone. And it seems to work in this way: when I hear some music the stream goes to the earphone, when I made or receive a call the stream switch to the audiocar bluetooth system. So now the only question is: may I expect that belkin/kinivo works as a bluetooth earphone?
What do all of you think?
very thanks

K.B.

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
I also need one of these.

I use a wired headset so I don't want to tie up my headphone jack port with a plug going to the AUX port in my car so I've been using the 30-pin/USB/Aux cable for a long time and it's been perfect in the car---- but I've just upgraded to the 5S and I'm screwed.

I've thought about buying the 30-Pin to Lightning adapter from Apple (since EVERY lightning adapter out there except for theirs got killed by iOS7) but hate to spend the money for an adapter instead of a complete cable.

has anyone found this cable??

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think you'd all just be better off buying new car stereos.
For around $70 you can get a good basic unit with a USB input.
Problem solved for ever.
;)

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I have used that black one from the post above.
I wrote a little about it n this or maybe another thread...

It does work, however it is Extremely difficult to disconnect. I'm talking using both hands with lots of force sort of pulling on an angle and was afraid I would damage the dock or worse phone.

Right now I'm using this combination:

Apple branded lightning to 30 pin (charges and carries audio unlike 3rd party units).

30 pin audio to 3.5mm and + - to charge

3.5mm input on radio

•

abchase

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
Beantown
It's kinda sad... I joined just to post this. Albiet I have used this site for many a reference, I've never felt compelled enough to post. (Lost interest in forums)

I read through this thread because I've been looking for something similar. My homemade version just isn't cutting it.

I'm going to purchase one or two of those combined Lightning and 3.5mm jobs just to experiment with. They (like most accessories) don't look case friendly(InCase slider is my pref.) Thanks for the links.

Through my research though, I wanted to pass this along. Don't ask me anything about it, as I do not know anything about it. There are mixed reviews, and some not so intelligent people that don't read descriptions or tech specs. All in all, looks relatively promising, at lest for the $$$.

http://www.amazon.com/Exclusives®-l...49259&sr=1-3&keywords=lightning+audio+adapter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.