Available HD space...not so good!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fitinferno, Apr 19, 2005.

1. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I searched the forums to find similar posts and was unsuccessful. Sorry if this is a topic that has been discussed before.

I got my PB about 2-3 weeks ago. Now, I've had many a harddrive in the past, however, none have made me feel this ripped off. On my 80gig external, I have about 74 usable gigs. On my old computer, which was a 60gb hd, I had about 54 usable gigs. However, on this computer, which is a 100gb hd, I had only 85 usable gigs?? :eek:

I understand that I would lose some gbs due to the whole byte math problem, but this is ridiculous, imo. I would expect 90 at least.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Such as, if you have a 100gigger in your computer, what amount of that was available when you turned on your comp for the first time? I.e. is this common and is this something I really should feel ripped off over?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Well, 100GB (100*10^9) is a tad over 93GB (93.1*1024^3) so that explains some. As for the rest, are you looking at free space? or total usable space?

Remember the system comes loaded with software that chew up several gigs.

3. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

It definitely comes out around 93gb as total space...

But still, I would've thought that 3gb for what the computer is loaded with would be enough...not 8. 8 seems very high...

4. Bear macrumors G3

iLife is about 5 gigs. iDVD and Garageband make up the bulk of that.

So 8 gigs seems about right.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So your complaint is -- Apple put too much OS and applications on your drive??

Run DeLocalizer (available from versiontracker.com) and recover 900 Mb.
    Delete the iApps and fonts you don't want.
    Some of the space is swap space for your RAM.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions...

6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, my 160Gb has about 145 useable. I've always found that to be a little bit tough to swallow as well. I just kind of blow it off, but I do agree with you it seems high. Oh well, I guess that's the price we pay for having Panther and the iLife apps- which I'm not willing to give up.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do you really feel like 4GB for OS and Specialty apps is a rip off?
    Considering it's like 2.7% of your drive's (actual) capacity (149GB)?

EDIT: Sorry, "rip off" is a bit strong..

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I wasn't the one who said rip off- I'm not the original poster. Not sure where the 4GB came from, but I do think it's reasonable to question 15 GB disappearing right from the get go. But like I said, if that's what Panther and the iLife apps require, that's fine with me.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I know it wasn't you, hence the edit I placed in my post. Didn't mean to target you specificly with 'rip off'.

However, if you have 145GB of free space on a 160GB drive (manufacturer's label as 160GB), then the ACTUAL space you have on the drive is 149GB. So, 149GB-145GB=4GB of disk space actually used up.

Manufacturers simply call a drive with 160,000,000,000 bytes a 160GB drive, when it's not. But 160GB sounds better then 149GB.

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I understand enough about the whole HD space labeling thing to know that I don't understand it.... lol..

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You didn't ask, but I'll tell anyways..

The problem is in how the math is done.

In binary a kilobyte is 1024 bytes. A megabyte is 1024 kilobytes. A gigabyte is 1024 megabytes. Etc..

So a drive the manufacturer sells a 160GB drive, which is actually a drive with (around) 160,000,000,000 bytes. The math above yields 149GB of actual size.

149 = (((160,000,000,000/1024)/1024)/1024)

12. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, in my original post I did put down about the whole byte math.

I guess I take issue with the fact that they should just put down what they mean by 100gb...eg. just tell me I'm getting 93. I'd rather have that than them just assuming I know that I'm getting 93 due to the byte math.

Anyways, I guess rip off is too strong a word I suppose, as I do like the iLife apps, but still, I guess I'm just putting too much thought into comparisons with my previous Mac. Makes me glad I went w/the 100gig one! ;)